Browned Out Sps Question

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 15 sps colonies/frags, most of which are happy and growing well. However, about three of them have been browned out for the better part of a year and don't show any polyp extension or color. How long do give them to show some sign of life before you just give up?

OP
OP
D

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were pretty high up in my tank already but I just moved them a couple weeks ago to another side of my tank where the sps seem especially happy right now.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they kinds that you know will do well in captivity? If wild, then that just might be what they are. If they are named and well-known colonies that are easy and often do well for others, then check for pests before you do anything else. Even some well-known stuff does not do well for everybody like Vivid Rainbow or some milleporas.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are stalled, dont move them anymore, snip some tips and see what new growth brings

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never give up. Normally the coral gives up and dies before I do anything with it. But I am pretty lazy... I had a nice indo Mari piece about 7 years ago and a friend kept to start and almost lost it. I ended up getting what he saved back maybe 5 years ago and it was brown and slow growing (not even forming any discernible branches) until just a few months ago. Now it’s got blue tips everywhere and growing into a nice colony. I should have tried cutting a piece off to spark some growth but never got around to it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back