Brs 160 cheato in refugium update?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jonathan9573

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I saw in one of you BRS160 videos that you added cheato to your refugium even though you were running zeovit. I was curious how well the cheato did. I am running biopellets and am trying to build up a pod population for my mandarin. Did the cheato survive or did the low nutrients kill it off?

malalite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like an update as well if there is one. I saw the stuff you guys did on Cheato with lights. I got an H380 and some and made a special area in the sump. Doing a live version of what you guys are trying. Still pretty early in. But hopeful to see results once a few months go past. I am working on replicating for my system what you are attempting.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I saw in one of you BRS160 videos that you added cheato to your refugium even though you were running zeovit. I was curious how well the cheato did. I am running biopellets and am trying to build up a pod population for my mandarin. Did the cheato survive or did the low nutrients kill it off?

The took the chaeto out when they found it would not grow with the Zeo system. They have now switched to Triton method and put the chaeto back. Also removed the rollermat from more chaeto area.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey there!

You are right, we used Chaeto with the Zeovit system and it grew phenomenally. Granted, we also fed the tank very heavily. If you watched any of the Chaetomorpha tests and refugium tests, all of the Chaeto for those tests derived from the BRS160! :)

-Randy

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The took the chaeto out when they found it would not grow with the Zeo system. They have now switched to Triton method and put the chaeto back. Also removed the rollermat from more chaeto area.

We actually ran it nearly the entire time. It grew amazingly well after we switched to a 12hr light cycle! We fed that tank like crazy too, which probably helped fuel its growth while running the Zeovit low nutrient system. :)

-Randy

OP
OP
J

jonathan9573

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually ran it nearly the entire time. It grew amazingly well after we switched to a 12hr light cycle! We fed that tank like crazy too, which probably helped fuel its growth while running the Zeovit low nutrient system. :)

-Randy

12 hour instead of 24?

OP
OP
J

jonathan9573

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Randy

12 hour instead of 24?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Randy

Oh wow, good to know. I thought it was removed.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! We just weren't seeing chaeto growth at 24hrs but did have quite a bit of hair algae. Once we switched to 12hrs, it really took off! All of the chaeto tests that we've ran share the same 12hr schedule. :)

-Randy
Hi Randy, what did you guys do to avoid hair algae in the refugium?

Currently my chaeto is not growing as fast as the HA. I'm afraid the HA is getting all the nutrients.

I just cleaned my sump 3 days ago and take a look at picture , all that grew in just 3 days!!!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated please!

I'm running the H380 12hrs, and NO3 and PO4 are zero.
a82dc32fe136c8f561b13ef10ceddb04.jpg
1335d19df61d6c85097a30337071d2ea.jpg
aff2f781d1c58b462bdfd0b5ca86c914.jpg

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, what did you guys do to avoid hair algae in the refugium?
Currently my chaeto is not growing as fast as the HA. I'm afraid the HA is getting all the nutrients.
I just cleaned my sump 3 days ago and take a look at picture , all that grew in just 3 days!!!
Any suggestions would be really appreciated please!
I'm running the H380 12hrs, and NO3 anPO4 are zer

I think the most important point is to get the chaeto to start out-competing the HA. I would say that the easiest way for us to do that was through vigorous hand removal of the HA as well as starting the fuge with a significant amount of chaeto. In most cases, I think that reefers don't start with enough chaeto and quickly find that as small softball or baseball size can't keep up with an entire tank's worth of nutrients. That seems to lead to HA taking over. My advice is to triple or quadruple the amount of chaeto and then start pruning back once it becomes the dominant algae. For reference, the BRS160 refugium hasn't been pruned yet since we started Triton and it is almost thick enough to walk on! :p

-Randy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back