BRS 2 Part product quality questions

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1) When I started using BRS 2 Part dry goods, the soda ash use to mix up almost instantly. I have had to replenish (I went from single use packs to the 7 pound bags) my dry goods. Since then, I swear if I went to the gym, I could skip arm and chest day. It takes me a solid 10 minutes now to get the alkalinity portion where there are no “small marbles” in the bottom of the mixing jug. Has the “Pharma” grade been downgrade to “emergi-med” grade? This change was almost instant when switching to the large bag.

2) Perhaps this is not vendor related. Hence my screen name, just putting that out there. My DOS will empty my 2 part jugs to where there is literally nothing left in the containers (maybe this is not good but there is no unmixed solution in the container, I mix to keep supply in “back stock”). Last night when I went to switch out a empty Calcium mixing jug from my DOS I noticed a darker solution in the line, I put the new calcium jug on the calcium DOS (which looked identical to the one on the right) and I primed it and noticed clear clean fluid going in the line. When I went to my mixing room and mixed up 2 gallons of calcium, there was a noticeable color difference between the two. I use to add TM Trace A and K to my 2 part, but stopped that when I got Dino’s (on the good side now), perhaps the jug is stained from that, as the plastic does look aged and the other bottle is newer. But that doesn’t explain what was in the dosing line. Now, here is where it is likely my fault. I didn’t and am not sure if I have rinsed out the mixing jug with rodi between Calcium batches. Since they get bone dry and the same compound is going in them, I guess I was/am thinking it’s not a big deal. Can calcium degrade over time maybe? Is premixing a couple gallons and letting it sit 1-2 weeks before use bad?
3) I am thrift shopping today. Is there a link to alternate dry goods that can be used to drive consumable costs down?

IMG_2366.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

juliomexico13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is a vendor that chose to sell products for my DIY recipe, but there are many other choices. Folks uses lots of different materials. It was originally developed using Dowflake, MAG flake, and Epsom Salt.

the color is likely no concern since a tiny bit of iron will discolor calcium chloride, and many folks have used such materials.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

BRS is a vendor that chose to sell products for my DIY recipe, but there are many other choices. Folks uses lots of different materials. It was originally developed using Dowflake, MAG flake, and Epsom Salt.

the color is likely no concern since a tiny bit of iron will discolor calcium chloride, and many folks have used such materials.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Randy I have not been able to find mag flakes, but found mag pallets. Any update on how much to use, or still the same as mag flakes

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy I have not been able to find mag flakes, but found mag pallets. Any update on how much to use, or still the same as mag flakes

Do you have a link to the product?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have not tested it, and actually have not tested any mag products in a long time, my expectation is the mag pellets from the Dead Sea works are likely fine. Use them at similar weight or volume to the flakes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back