BRS 4 stage ro 7 stage assistance needed.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

I have a 4 stage BRS RO/DI unit. I just purchased the Triple DI saver with TDS meter.

I've seen videos that say this won't work with the 4 stage. I didn't know that before hand, but does anyone have experience with connecting this to the existing 4 stage? I believe the issue is that after the carbon block it routes to the membrane and then to the DI.

I was thinking I could take the DI stage currently, insert another carbon blocked and then just connect the 3 stage DI canisters.

Evidently there is an issue with going through carbon, membrane, carbon, then DI stages.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely don't need the extra carbon block. However there's no reason why you can't have 4 stages of DI.

I'm not familiar with the stuff brs pedals. But I'm assuming the 3 stage you're getting is a cation, anion and a mix bed?

I would simply add the last stage as a mix bed and call it good. Better yet spectrapure offers a max cap that you can add that will prolong life expectancy of your di.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely don't need the extra carbon block. However there's no reason why you can't have 4 stages of DI.

I'm not familiar with the stuff brs pedals. But I'm assuming the 3 stage you're getting is a cation, anion and a mix bed?

I would simply add the last stage as a mix bed and call it good. Better yet spectrapure offers a max cap that you can add that will prolong life expectancy of your di.

Yes, you are correct on the Cation, Anion, and Mix bed DI. So the extra carbon block wouldn't help?

Appreciate the help!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are correct. After the carbon block it goes to the RO membrane, then the mixed bed DI.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any reason you can't make it work though. You'd have to re-route some of the tubes, and re-purpose the mixed-bed DI canister that came with the 4-stage, but that's not a big deal.

I would just convert the current mixed bed DI to another carbon block, reroute the first carbon block to the (new) second, THEN take that to the RO membrane, THEN add the triple DI saver kit AFTER the RO. The triple TDS on the upgrade kit can remain how it came from the factory I believe.

The setup might be a bit "weird" but it would work all the same.

Hopefully that makes sense! Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :)

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alternatively you could leave the original mixed bed as-is, and plug the new 3-stage DI right before that - essentially just having a second mixed bed at the very end. Like sisterlimonpot said.

Personally I'd rather have 2 carbon blocks than a second mixed bed, though.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run 5 micron sediment to 1 sediment to 1 carbon then membrane then 3 stage resin. Or sediment to carbon to carbon to membrane then 3 stage di. You can use the same size or different size blocks. Some people use 2 one micron carbon blocks and when the first one needs changing they move the second one to the number one spot and put the newer one in the second spot.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Appreciate it everyone.

Yes, I like the two carbon blocks myself.

I'll take a look in a bit and see if I can reroute everything.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the manual ones and are cheap if the auto is too pricey. Just match the flow restrictor to your needs. It is easy to forget about it doing it manually though.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the DI canister on your original system and rotate it 90 degrees and connect it to your orginal prefilters to allow the sediment-carbon1-carbon2 setup.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Sisterlimonpot @dangles @billyocean @KStatefan just wanted to say a big thank you, for helping me wrap my mind around this!

I pulled then 4 stage out of the floor and put it up in the counter to where I could see it good. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I virtually just disconnected the 3rd canister mixed DI, replaced with a second carbon block. Then plumbed that 3rd block to the Membrane and then plumbed the membrane outlet to the new DI stages.

All is well and 0 TDS. I was already getting 0, but my mixed DI was only lasting about 4 months. I will add the auto flush valve as well, it's on order. Already have the Aquatec booster pump and that's the best $150.00 anyone can spend. It took my pressure from 30psi to a little over 80psi that I adjusted. It would take it higher than that, but I'm good with around 80 :)

Thanks again everyone.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back