BRS and Neptune Merger

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does seem curious for a retailer and manufacturer to merge though. BRS selling GHL or ETM means potentially more R&D $$ for Apex. Wonder if Neptune was struggling financially?

This sort of vertical integration i could see could lead to some companies not wanting to be sold by BRS for sure.

In the end, vertical integration is cheapest for the consumer (no middle man). And any monopoly concerns will sort out if GHL and others don't want Neptune to profit from GHL's (and other products) being sold by competition.

Really, i think Ryan loves the idea of having more of a say in what is being made in this hobby.... Just another challenge and way to keep his job new and exciting. If he must join with others, so be it.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably caused this, I finally broke down and bought an apex and trident this past weekend. Oops!

Hope they continue to support it in the same way that Neptune does now, would hate to see Apex Plus and a $5 monthly monitoring fee or something…

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the honest truth coming from a Mod, it will blow over and most of us will forget this and move on. I said I will need to make some decisions...BUT...I just watched a video from @Bulk Reef Supply on UV Sterilizers and the flow rate. The truth is, am I happy with this particular merger, not really, as I am trying to do a honest comparison between converting from a full Apex system to a full GHL system. I have been buying stuff from BRS since I got into this hobby, and probably will continue to do so. You ask why, because I fell they carry the best. I am looking at a Pentair UV sterilizer, which is rated amongst the best. National Aquariums use them, so it must be for a reason. The fact is BRS and their videos are priceless to every single reefer out there. I watched videos from BRS for a year before I took the jump and got into this hobby. I continue to watch them now. Do I have mixed emotions on the merger, or whatever you want to call it, yes, but I will not stop buying from BRS. I just needed a little time to think about it an cool down. This is not me asking you to forgive BRS...in reality...They did nothing wrong. This is me just asking you to give them time to work this out and maybe, just maybe, it will be for the better.

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy with this merger. Most retailers have private label brands where they sell what they manufacture. Kirkland is Costco’s private label. When a retailer has more say in the manufacturing the quality gets better. Give it a chance people. In a world of transparency it will have to get better. Neptune hardware needs to improve greatly. Ryan will make that happen.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence strikes me as completely risk averse which makes me wonder if there was indeed money issues at Neptune. Ryan is way more aggressive. I think it will be a good thing.

That said, I think the 2016 Apex is hideous and the only reason I got an Apex is because people are ditching the classics for peanuts. Best controller deal out there is a used Apex Classic IMO.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait for the BRS edition Monopoly game, Congratz Boys!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the honest truth coming from a Mod, it will blow over and most of us will forget this and move on. I said I will need to make some decisions...BUT...I just watched a video from @Bulk Reef Supply on UV Sterilizers and the flow rate. The truth is, am I happy with this particular merger, not really, as I am trying to do a honest comparison between converting from a full Apex system to a full GHL system. I have been buying stuff from BRS since I got into this hobby, and probably will continue to do so. You ask why, because I fell they carry the best. I am looking at a Pentair UV sterilizer, which is rated amongst the best. National Aquariums use them, so it must be for a reason. The fact is BRS and their videos are priceless to every single reefer out there. I watched videos from BRS for a year before I took the jump and got into this hobby. I continue to watch them now. Do I have mixed emotions on the merger, or whatever you want to call it, yes, but I will not stop buying from BRS. I just needed a little time to think about it an cool down. This is not me asking you to forgive BRS...in reality...They did nothing wrong. This is me just asking you to give them time to work this out and maybe, just maybe, it will be for the better.
I haven't made up my mind how I feel about all of this. What really bothers me is that you said they deleted your comments/questions. I'd really like to know what they were.
I do know I've only been ordering from BRS when I have a coupon or other discount. Their shipping takes way too long and the $49 min for the free shipping is crazy.
I try to get most of my stuff from SaltwaterAquarium. Free shipping on everything. Free gifts on everything. 1 day shipping for 90% for me, since they have a warehouse on the other side of town in Phoenix. BRS could take a page from their book and have more than one shipping location.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon we will buy everything from taco bell
Comic-Con 2018: Freebie Taco Bell to pop up in Gaslamp steakhouse - Chicago  Tribune

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for all the people with the BRS buying reef2reef... the joke has been said about 15 times already in the thread. And yes for the right amount of money I'm sure the owner would sell it to BRS or any other company. There are very few things in this world that don't have a price tag on it and you shouldn't be shocked if that should happen someday.
I made the first one, I was joking, but not really.

Get a few more companies to cover other equipment in the hobby and the current most popular forum in the hobby, then all bases will be covered.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't made up my mind how I feel about all of this. What really bothers me is that you said they deleted your comments/questions. I'd really like to know what they were.
I do know I've only been ordering from BRS when I have a coupon or other discount. Their shipping takes way too long and the $49 min for the free shipping is crazy.
I try to get most of my stuff from SaltwaterAquarium. Free shipping on everything. Free gifts on everything. 1 day shipping for 90% for me, since they have a warehouse on the other side of town in Phoenix. BRS could take a page from their book and have more than one shipping location.
I posted what I posted because, in reality, we always go back to square one. BRS videos are a blessing, and always have been, for new and old reefers. I just wanted reefers to never forget that, R2R is a great resource for everything reefing, and so is BRS for videos. ;)

I just forgot that in the moment.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Neptune hardware needs to improve greatly. Ryan will make that happen.
The concern that people could have with this is that any improvements will likely take time and money.

Will that affect the bottom line? If so, will that affect product price? If so, will the consumer accept that price change?

In the end, will the product just be kept the same to not affect the bottom line?

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the concern and it’s real. The difference is BRS has said they will make the investments to make products on a larger scale with quicker changes and faster roll outs (within current COVID supply chain constraints) Look at any consumer electronics product. Each version has improvements. Like Samsung & iPhone. Neptune has been mostly backwards compatible. So if the current models still exist then reefers can choose. The old model or the current version. I’m optimistic on this deal.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One key thing to note is BRS is still run by avid hobbyists. The day to day operations and decision-making is not by some nameless board or greedy CEO. Ryan is still always in the building, I know because I always see him running around when I do local pickup. He understands what we hobbyists want because he is one himself.

I think many do not realize just how much of an asset BRS is and has been to this hobby.

Braver69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the concern and it’s real. The difference is BRS has said they will make the investments to make products on a larger scale with quicker changes and faster roll outs (within current COVID supply chain constraints) Look at any consumer electronics product. Each version has improvements. Like Samsung & iPhone. Neptune has been mostly backwards compatible. So if the current models still exist then reefers can choose. The old model or the current version. I’m optimistic on this deal.

On the other hand no company ever comes out and says hey were going to over spend and hurt your hobby when we fold up shop and take the brands we bought with us. I doubt everyone at Sears thought being bought by Kmart was a death knell at the time. If you want a more hobby related one, then ask Vertex how over expanding worked out for them.

There is a reason many dont like move by BRS. We only hope it does not turn into the above examples.

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoaa whoaa slow down there. How about first we get to the point that after changing reagents cal and mag doesn't increase by 100ppm requiring you to submit a ticket and jump through hoops each time. Then in the end of it all still not knowing where the hell your cal and mag levels truly are lol.

I honestly do not have that problem? I bought one of the very first Trident units too. So truly version 1.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly do not have that problem? I bought one of the very first Trident units too. So truly version 1.
Good for you. I have yet another ticket opened with them. I change those reagents out like in doing brain surgery. I'll tell you one thing, no matter how many reagent bottles my Hanna alk checker is consistent.

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand no company ever comes out and says hey were going to over spend and hurt your hobby when we fold up shop and take the brands we bought with us. I doubt everyone at Sears thought being bought by Kmart was a death knell at the time. If you want a more hobby related one, then ask Vertex how over expanding worked out for them.

There is a reason many dont like move by BRS. We only hope it does not turn into the above examples.
Sears & Kmart got killed by Walmart & Amazon. Kmart was on its death bed when billionaire Eddie Lampert bought Sears. Everyone in touch with customers knew the customer buying process had changed. Companies die when they loose touch with their customers. If BRS has done anything they have kept touch with their customers. I’m not trying to argue. Of course there are risks, but everything I’ve seen from BRS is that they are well managed and closely connected with there customers. I swear I get 2 or 3 surveys a week from them and they are the most open book company on YouTube.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by and large a negative person. I have a hard time finding the silver lining in any situation and I hate everything.

I really hate that about myself.

However, this merger promises to be good for both companies. I think they had the right frame of mind when they pulled the trigger on this and both companies have a passion for the hobby. Pooled resources could help advance the technology.

Having said that, I have real concerns for Neptune's competitors. Are they going to be put on the bench? Will BRS promote their products as strongly? My head says no.

Back