BRS Dosers 1.1 mL/min. How long can the tubing be?

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm trying to see if I can run these dosers from my shed outside into the home where the tank is at.

Its about a 25 foot run.

I plan on using RO tubing with the dosers.

Would the back pressure caused by the length of the tubing have any effect on accuracy and consistency?

I already have heavy duty peristaltic pumps for AWC and ATO set up, but it looks like these BRS dosers arent as heavy duty as my Stenner pumps.

Thanks

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only answer is -- you will have to try it.
youre absolutely right

Will just do it and see what happens

Hopefully it doesnt siphone an entire alk container into my tank lol

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pumps are tanks I see no issue with that however you’ll have to measure your output regularly as that run may drop output a little but maybe not.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it doesnt siphone an entire alk container into my tank lol
If working properly there can’t be a siphon with a peristaltic pump, however it’s always a good idea to have the tubing so that it can’t start a siphon. Just relying on pump rollers to not wear out too bad would make me incredibly nervous when a siphon could wipe out the tank. Especially on this pump that only uses two rollers so that only one would be pinching the tube off part of the time.

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If working properly there can’t be a siphon with a peristaltic pump, however it’s always a good idea to have the tubing so that it can’t start a siphon. Just relying on pump rollers to not wear out too bad would make me incredibly nervous when a siphon could wipe out the tank. Especially on this pump that only uses two rollers so that only one would be pinching the tube off part of the time.
The two rollers make me super anxious about creating a siphon. I’ll just have to do what you advised and figure out how to prevent a siphon

Any recommendations?

The pumps will be at a higher level than the tank
Thanks for your thoughts

OP
OP
bozo

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These pumps are tanks I see no issue with that however you’ll have to measure your output regularly as that run may drop output a little but maybe not.
Thanks for the response

I was just gifted 5 of them lol.

I plugged them in and saw that they were super slow lol.

I didn’t realize how slow 1.1 mL per minute actually was until I powered them on lol.

But at least they are real peristaltic pumps and not the cheap stuff.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one for kalk but am only pulling about 5ft vertical then dripping about 2 ft to the sump. I have the pump mounted above the sump which is on a stand and my container on the floor so there is no chance of a syphon. It's been working so well for the last year or so I just bought a second when they were on sale for a back up.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two rollers make me super anxious about creating a siphon. I’ll just have to do what you advised and figure out how to prevent a siphon

Any recommendations?

The pumps will be at a higher level than the tank
Thanks for your thoughts
The height of the pump doesn’t matter for a siphon. All that matter is the height of the outlet vs the height of the liquid in the dosing container, and don’t put the outlet underwater so you can’t start a siphon backwards.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back