Versa AWC issue, air in line or head pressure?

Ben Mccue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested these 2 pumps on my 40 gallon tank for 2 months and they ran flawlessly which is why I'm thinking I have a setup issue on the new build.

The problem is the clean salt water pump is not dosing the correct amount. After some trouble shooting my suspicion is that it's drawing air in the suction side after the pump stops. I had primed it successfully by letting it completely fill a drinking glass. I then calibrated at 10 ml per minute for 5 minutes, input the correction, then on testing to confirm calibration it only dosed around 10ml even though the head was spinning the whole time. I repeated this a couple of times with the same results. I replaced the tubing as well and got the same results. It only gives me issues if it stops running for a period of time, then on a restart it will seemingly have pockets of air in the line.

No issues with the waste water side, I did three confirmations and got 50ml each time after calibration. I have the waste line going from the pump which is only about a foot off the ground, up the wall through the ceiling, and down again into the laundry drain about 9 feet away.

On the clean water side I have the RO tubing plumbed through a 1/4 ro bulkhead into the top of the water vat which is about 5 feet high, it drops down to the pump which is about 10 feet away and only about a foot off the ground. My suspicion is that it's drawing air through the little 1/4 bulkhead which has a length of tubing inside and another outside leading to the pump.

I would not think a 10 foot horizontal run with a 5 foot climb followed by a 5 foot drop would cause an issue but that's really the purpose of the post, what do you guys think? Should I figure out a way to have no drop whatsoever? Or should I relocate the pump closer to the salt water vat?

I'm ordering some RO tubing to replace that section with a single run with no breaks. That will take a day or 2 to receive so I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the current setup. Pic attached, not the nicest sump room, I spent all my money on the apex and couldn't afford pretty PVC pipe. Salt Vat is the left one. Thanks

sump room.jpg

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just for comparison, my Versa AWC setup is pulling through 45 ft of 1/4" tubing. I put the tube directly into the new saltwater tank in the garage. It runs through the crawl space to my tank on the other side of the house

OP
OP
B

Ben Mccue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah I think it was air in the line. I was able rig up the tube in a straight run vat to pump and it seems to be working properly. I calibrated then tested, then let it sit off an hour and tested again and it's spot in.

I had two threaded adapters screwed into a 1/2 inch bulkhead with Teflon tape, I'm sure the air was getting around the threads in the bulkhead. I just pulled the orings out of one and drilled a 1/4 hole so the tube fits through snug.

20231222_104943.jpg

boomr44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah I think it was air in the line. I was able rig up the tube in a straight run vat to pump and it seems to be working properly. I calibrated then tested, then let it sit off an hour and tested again and it's spot in.

I had two threaded adapters screwed into a 1/2 inch bulkhead with Teflon tape, I'm sure the air was getting around the threads in the bulkhead. I just pulled the orings out of one and drilled a 1/4 hole so the tube fits through snug.

20231222_104943.jpg
What kind of tubing are you using inside your vat for drawing new saltwater? I’m setting up awc system and have ro line going into 1/4” bulkhead but want something sturdier inside as I assume when mixing would bounce the ro line all over the place. Tia

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of tubing are you using inside your vat for drawing new saltwater? I’m setting up awc system and have ro line going into 1/4” bulkhead but want something sturdier inside as I assume when mixing would bounce the ro line all over the place. Tia
I use an extra pvc fitting and drill a 1/4” hole through the fitting. I put the end of the R/O line through the fitting and place it in the bottom of the storage tank

OP
OP
B

Ben Mccue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ro tubing , just weighed it down with some pvc so it sinks to the bottom. Not pretty but it works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back