BRS pharma kalk vrs. Mrs Wages

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently due to the virus I am no longer able to source Mrs Wages lime at a
reasonable price locally. I have already purchased the BRS kalk and am wondering if I need
to make changes. I see that the BRS is lower in both magnesium and phosphates will i need to up the dosing of these? My phosphates are already low.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium and phosphates?
Kalkwasser and Mrs. Wages are Calcium Hydroxide.
I don't think there should be magnesium or phosphate in either version.
You may be thinking of Calcium and Alkalinity?
I can't imagine dosing would change much, if any at all when switching between the two. They are the same thing.

OP
OP
J

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium and phosphates?
Kalkwasser and Mrs. Wages are Calcium Hydroxide.
I don't think there should be magnesium or phosphate in either version.
You may be thinking of Calcium and Alkalinity?
I can't imagine dosing would change much, if any at all when switching between the two. They are the same thing.
If you check out the icp report on the BRS website you we'll see that both sources of kalk contain some mag and phosphate. I was wondering whether it was enough to make a difference.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out the icp report on the BRS website you we'll see that both sources of kalk contain some mag and phosphate. I was wondering whether it was enough to make a difference.
You trust brs to fairly compare their kalk to a different companies kalk? Hmm....

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very interesting! Gotta love BRS investigates!
I'm using Mrs. Wages. No problems so far.

I don't see anything on that chart that says what the numbers mean. I can only assume they are PPM?

OP
OP
J

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very interesting! Gotta love BRS investigates!
I'm using Mrs. Wages. No problems so far.

I don't see anything on that chart that says what the numbers mean. I can only assume they are PPM?
Thanks for checking it out! Don't know if the numbers mean anything to our tanks. Two pounds of BRS kalk will last me a long time so I guess I will find out!

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to swap back and forth between Mrs. Wages and the BRS stuff. Then one day in ?2017? the BRS folks decided that food grade wasn't good enough and *doubled* the price of their kalkwasser overnight. I used it exactly once after that, but I didn't notice any particular difference. I wish they had kept both options. Their video does talk about purity, and you should decide for yourself if you care about the difference. I don't personally care and I suspect the evil white precipitate they talk about is probably mostly Mg.

If you're putting it in a reactor (like I was) they're interchangeable. If you're mixing X amount per gallon BRS states theirs is a different density (something to do with particle size or something), so you can put a bit less volume in and still achieve saturation.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back