BRS Soda Ash

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I mix my soda ash solution it is perfectly clear; however, after sitting in the Mr. Chili's mixing jug for a a few weeks or so it forms a layer of wispy white clouds at the bottom of the solution. When mixed the entire solution turns cloudy and i can see small particles floating around. Is this precipitation? Should I discard it?

I use the Chili's jug for dosing as well... I drilled a hole in the cap just large enough for a piece of RO tubing and use a doser.

I'm mixing with 0 tds RO/DI water. The calcium and mag solutions do not do this ever.

I'd take a picture but I can't get a good picture of it.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have anything else in the jug before? The solution can get cloudy sometimes but you should be ok. Just shake up well before using.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I mix my soda ash solution it is perfectly clear; however, after sitting in the Mr. Chili's mixing jug for a a few weeks or so it forms a layer of wispy white clouds at the bottom of the solution. When mixed the entire solution turns cloudy and i can see small particles floating around. Is this precipitation? Should I discard it?

I use the Chili's jug for dosing as well... I drilled a hole in the cap just large enough for a piece of RO tubing and use a doser.

I'm mixing with 0 tds RO/DI water. The calcium and mag solutions do not do this ever.

I'd take a picture but I can't get a good picture of it.

That's no concern. Just some trace metal carbonate or oxide impurities precipitating and settling out.

marke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!! Toxic trace metals as impurities as Randy Mentioned. However I disagree with Randy that this is of no concern. Randy wrote an article on the negatives of trace metals in our system. Check out the stickys above. Others have written about this as well. Toxic trace metals are showing up on triton test with regularity. They enter our system via the food we feed. The salt mixes we use. And low quality 3 part or other additives. Some people even add trace thinking they need it! Its a health hazard for our aquariums! Not different than the metals in the drinking water at Flint Michigan. Is that not why we use rodi water? To remove toxic metals! Remember it also depends on the corals your trying to grow in your system? Is it a softy tank like Randys? Then maybe elevated metals can be tolerated. If your growing and fragging sps, I believe toxic metals are our achilles heel. Reduce their input, and maximize the output of metals from our systems! Read Randys piece! Along with Dr Ron Shimek, and Craig Bingman articles!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES!! Toxic trace metals as impurities as Randy Mentioned. However I disagree with Randy that this is of no concern. Randy wrote an article on the negatives of trace metals in our system. Check out the stickys above. Others have written about this as well. Toxic trace metals are showing up on triton test with regularity. They enter our system via the food we feed. The salt mixes we use. And low quality 3 part or other additives. Some people even add trace thinking they need it! Its a health hazard for our aquariums! Not different than the metals in the drinking water at Flint Michigan. Is that not why we use rodi water? To remove toxic metals! Remember it also depends on the corals your trying to grow in your system? Is it a softy tank like Randys? Then maybe elevated metals can be tolerated. If your growing and fragging sps, I believe toxic metals are our achilles heel. Reduce their input, and maximize the output of metals from our systems! Read Randys piece! Along with Dr Ron Shimek, and Craig Bingman articles!

Seems quite a stretch to assume it is a toxic metal impurity, and not just something like calcium carbonate.

My tank was not a soft coral tank.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

If you are seeing the solution mix clear then some precipitate at a later date it is almost certainly because either the measuring cup or jug had a small amount of calcium chloride in it when it was mixed. It's super easy to have a small amount of contamination between the two considering they are often mixed at the same time with the same tools and it isn't a big deal at all. This also happens on occasion when reefers use tap water to make the solution or potentially even rinse the jugs rather than RO/DI as suggested : )

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back