BRS two part magnesium raising calcium?

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does BRS two part magnesium raise calcium?
My calcium was at around 410 and magnesium around 1200. I started raising magnesium slowly over the course of 5-6 days and the calcium spiked up along with it. Now mag is at 1350 and calcium around 470. I'll be doing a water change today to hopefully reset calcium.

I use the magnesium two part for maintenance.

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it does not raise calcium more than a little bit. 470 ppm calcium is also perfectly fine. :)
I think I saw a BRS master series yesterday on youtube about magnesium and calcium. They say that it is toxic once calcium is 500+ and i'm getting too close for comfort for it...

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw a BRS master series yesterday on youtube about magnesium and calcium. They say that it is toxic once calcium is 500+ and i'm getting too close for comfort for it...
What BRS says - That segment begins with BRS telling you Red Sea Coral Pro salt is 465 Ca out of the box, then by stating it's unclear at what level Ca is toxic and that "Acute toxicity is likely above 500". They mean toxicity is somewhere above 500, possibly way above 500 we don't know exactly.

My thoughts - You are nowhere near toxicity and have absolutely nothing to worry about at 470. I agree an ideal level is lower, somewhere between 420-450 though. Back off dosing maybe but don't lose sleep over 470 Ca. I would would be worried at ~550. Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nonsense. If they said that, they are grossly mistaken. Some salt mixes start higher than that. That said, I do not believe they would have claimed that. Edit; I see the exact claim posted above which is different and not any sort of indication that 500 ppm is a concern.

IMO, 400-550 ppm is fine, and the only drawback to somewhat higher calcium is more precipitation of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thank you.
Yeah i'm still gonna try to bring it down a bit.
Only thing I changed was to actually lessen alkalinity which is making me dose less calcium now. I guess I was dosing too much to start with. I'm dosing less calcium now than alk but it seems calcium is going up while alk is coming down.
Gonna see if i can reset a bit with a water change tonight and dose little less calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thank you.
Yeah i'm still gonna try to bring it down a bit.
Only thing I changed was to actually lessen alkalinity which is making me dose less calcium now. I guess I was dosing too much to start with. I'm dosing less calcium now than alk but it seems calcium is going up while alk is coming down.
Gonna see if i can reset a bit with a water change tonight and dose little less calcium.

There is nothing to "reset" or any need or benefit to a water changed based on things you have posted, but dosing less is certainly a fine plan if only to save additives.

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do biweekly water changes anyways. But yeah i'll turn it down a bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back