BRS, we love you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FO_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, relax. It’s a corporation. Everything they do and say is to get your money. “BRS investigations” are just thinly veiled marketing videos. They tried their best to scare the community away from black box leds using scare tactics and misinformation. I totally get why they would market products that are profitable for them, but come on now, do we really need to write love letters to them for it?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, relax. It’s a corporation. Everything they do and say is to get your money. “BRS investigations” are just thinly veiled marketing videos. They tried their best to scare the community away from black box leds using scare tactics and misinformation. I totally get why they would market products that are profitable for them, but come on now, do we really need to write love letters to them for it?
gim6y87t38g21.jpeg

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The post was meant to show the INDIVIDUALS who are working at BRS, not so much BRS "entity", that most of us appreciate what they do. It has to be slightly discouraging/upsetting coming on here and seeing people give them crap for things that are either not really worth getting upset about, or for things that are out of their control.

I have personally watched plenty of BRS videos that cover commonly asked questions/myths/DIY that do not have much, if any, marketing value whatsoever ex. how long does mixed saltwater last, DIY dosing containers, etc.

Whether or not a lot of their videos are product based, they are still providing a lot of information and facts that I am sure a lot of people would like to know.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct but...credit were credit is due, 20k reef giveaway was cool, yes, probably sponsored but Ryan pick up the tab on taxes, but last months 30k giveaway was out of the pocket, don't see that every day. Now to show Im trying to not be Biased, I received a box of PVC fittings yesterday that was over packed and split open;Nailbiting Kudos to the UPS guy for Keeping all the bags of parts in the box....Stuff Happens

Better than cat videos on YouTube.
My daughter would disagree.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a fact Zack ...Let the newbies in shipping know tape is cheap ;) ...no losses...
20190605_201251.jpg

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a fact Zack ...Let the newbies in shipping know tape is cheap ;) ...no losses...
20190605_201251.jpg

Surprised that stayed in the box. On a side note, I do love the colored PVC. It really just makes it look that much better.

U

User1

View Badges
Not here to get into any type of arguments.

Then why? Just a suggestion then - say why you want to share golden bombs of light and love. Say what they did for you or why that makes you feel as such for a shout out. I'm not here to reply why it is or isn't deserved (more on that in a minute since you made a 2nd point below) but more for clarity sake.

Just here because, recently, I have been seeing WAY too much negativity and too many complaints towards a company that is pretty much the "reefing-foundation" for a lot of people. They definitely need to more credit and appreciation.

This is the nugget that I wanted to really address though because it seems like you may be singling a specific post or two and possibly some forum members and I think is a bit unjust. In the posts I'm thinking of there is at least one specific complaint that could be easily rectified by said recipient of your love (er, term of endearment). It could be handled by direct 1 to 1 communication, reply to the thread in question, or other ways.

In either case I wanted to address this because as with that post there was no negativity and a few instances whereas people said they understood, liked, or otherwise supported said company. Just had a really big disagreement or issue in this case related to a very high in demand product.

Lastly - and again in this specific thread - it is showing a pretty big glaring fault in their web portal. Agree or disagree is a moot point but it is effecting customers. Is it a one time thing, due to a specific product, or is it a bigger issue worth fixing now by investing in change? I don't know. I just found the thread a bit odd but then again I'm part of the collateral damage.
20190605_201251.jpg

@siggy lol - "tape is cheap" Made me giggle.

I'm going to add you to my stalking list :) When I need a quick chuckle you are my go-to source :) Just kidding on the stalking part. No need to get a restraining order :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is kind of funny.... Do you have a own a corporation - if so my guess is that everything you do and say is to increase your income. Do you have a job? If so my guess is you do everything you can to get as much pay as you can... So - assuming what you're saying is true - so what?

As far as the lights your comment comes without reference or rationale or proof of any kind. You're making a very broad negative comment and have nothing behind it (besides your opinion)? I would never use a black box LED - for various reasons - having nothing to do with BRS videos.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know I am not the only one, and, in fact, I am most likely in the MAJORITY when I say that BRS gets way too much crap for, in my opinion, MINUTE problems (recently ones that are not even in their control and definitely have no business being posted on public forums ;))

To you problems are minute (because they are happening to other people). To the person thats involved thats waiting for product xxxx (a new filter, a pump, etc because something is failing) - the problem may not be so 'minute'. There have been some complaints about BRS - and there have been many threads praising BRS (as would be expected with any company).

The main reason I'm responding to your post, though is - merely to ask why do complaints have no place being posted on public forums? Seems to me that unreasonable complaints will be criticized, repeated reasonable complaints will help the community to decide where to buy their products?

FO_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of funny.... Do you have a own a corporation - if so my guess is that everything you do and say is to increase your income. Do you have a job? If so my guess is you do everything you can to get as much pay as you can... So - assuming what you're saying is true - so what?

As far as the lights your comment comes without reference or rationale or proof of any kind. You're making a very broad negative comment and have nothing behind it (besides your opinion)? I would never use a black box LED - for various reasons - having nothing to do with BRS videos.
Yes I’m employed... I’m a reefer... I have no problem with capitalism, I just don’t think that common promotional practices are deserving of such obtuse admiration. Go watch their video on black box leds. Its pure fear mongering about imaginary cases of spontaneous combustion. Plenty of people have success with black boxes, and your own unsupported bias against them is itself a broad and unfounded negative comment.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I’m employed... I’m a reefer... I have no problem with capitalism, I just don’t think that common promotional practices are deserving of such obtuse admiration. Go watch their video on black box leds. Its pure fear mongering about imaginary cases of spontaneous combustion. Plenty of people have success with black boxes, and your own unsupported bias against them is itself a broad and unfounded negative comment.

Have watched their videos on black boxes - I said that I wouldn't use a black box LED for various reasons - that doesn't mean Im 'biased' against them - it means I've researched the type of light I wanted to use - and thats the one I bought.

So contrary to what you're writing - thats not an unsupported 'bias' - and in fact it wasn't a 'negative comment'. I was only making the point that There are lots of reasons people buy a product (or dont buy a product)

But - your post - about 'thinly veiled marketing techniques' from BRS - to me DOES seem like a bias - whether it was against corporations in general - or BRS specifically. As if marketing 'tactics' were somehow 'underhanded'. Thats why I asked the question I did. BTW - to bring this back to the thread - BRS has tested some things they market - and they have tested things they do not market - and have started to market subsequently. They have also dropped some things (I believe) some products that did not perform as well. In any case - I believe that they are as objective as possible. I personally do not buy or not buy based solely on their videos - but I do, appreciate them as a company - for doing them. I noticed just recently that several other 'big names' are doing them now as well. My guess is that if company xxxx decides to do a test and the product company xxx is testing performs poorly that video will not be published. BRS sells all type/varieties of products.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy lol - "tape is cheap" Made me giggle.

I'm going to add you to my stalking list :) When I need a quick chuckle you are my go-to source :) Just kidding on the stalking part. No need to get a restraining order :D
touch'e on the chuckle.
I do love the colored PVC. It really just makes it look that much better.
When in Rome: Who else advises to buy the store then return whats not required;)

FO_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have watched their videos on black boxes - I said that I wouldn't use a black box LED for various reasons - that doesn't mean Im 'biased' against them - it means I've researched the type of light I wanted to use - and thats the one I bought.

So contrary to what you're writing - thats not an unsupported 'bias' - and in fact it wasn't a 'negative comment'. I was only making the point that There are lots of reasons people buy a product (or dont buy a product)

But - your post - about 'thinly veiled marketing techniques' from BRS - to me DOES seem like a bias - whether it was against corporations in general - or BRS specifically. As if marketing 'tactics' were somehow 'underhanded'. Thats why I asked the question I did. BTW - to bring this back to the thread - BRS has tested some things they market - and they have tested things they do not market - and have started to market subsequently. They have also dropped some things (I believe) some products that did not perform as well. In any case - I believe that they are as objective as possible. I personally do not buy or not buy based solely on their videos - but I do, appreciate them as a company - for doing them. I noticed just recently that several other 'big names' are doing them now as well. My guess is that if company xxxx decides to do a test and the product company xxx is testing performs poorly that video will not be published. BRS sells all type/varieties of products.
Well it seems like I made some rushed assumptions about your motivations, and you are making some about mine. This doesn’t seem like a productive discussion, so I guess we can agree to disagree and move on.

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To you problems are minute (because they are happening to other people). To the person thats involved thats waiting for product xxxx (a new filter, a pump, etc because something is failing) - the problem may not be so 'minute'. There have been some complaints about BRS - and there have been many threads praising BRS (as would be expected with any company).

The main reason I'm responding to your post, though is - merely to ask why do complaints have no place being posted on public forums? Seems to me that unreasonable complaints will be criticized, repeated reasonable complaints will help the community to decide where to buy their products?
I am totally for complaints or criticisms in order to save your fellow reefer from the same problem or to provide the company with some sort of productive feedback - but publicly shaming them because you didn't get 1 of the 10 Tridents in their warehouse when 1,000+ (Random number) people are receiving the exact same "in stock" notification email does not seem to be productive in any way. I am not blindly defending anybody, if I saw posts that were about legit problems (which I am sure there are plenty out there), I wouldn't defend whoever it would be against. And I am not just talking about the recent thread chain - ever since the Trident has came out, there have been quite a few threads started, all bashing on BRS for not being able to buy something "non-essential". I have never had a problem ordering any other items (pumps, filters, lights, etc.) and getting them on my doorstep two days later (I live and Iowa and love the "BRS prime" benefit).
And plus - I am sure BRS doesn't like seeing all the complaints about this, and if they could sell the 1,000+ people on that waitlist a $600 item, they wouldn't be hesitating... think about that sweet $600k giveaway - your Red Sea tank comes with its own house :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am totally for complaints or criticisms in order to save your fellow reefer from the same problem or to provide the company with some sort of productive feedback - but publicly shaming them because you didn't get 1 of the 10 Tridents in their warehouse when 1,000+ (Random number) people are receiving the exact same "in stock" notification email does not seem to be productive in any way. I am not blindly defending anybody, if I saw posts that were about legit problems (which I am sure there are plenty out there), I wouldn't defend whoever it would be against. And I am not just talking about the recent thread chain - ever since the Trident has came out, there have been quite a few threads started, all bashing on BRS for not being able to buy something "non-essential". I have never had a problem ordering any other items (pumps, filters, lights, etc.) and getting them on my doorstep two days later (I live and Iowa and love the "BRS prime" benefit).
And plus - I am sure BRS doesn't like seeing all the complaints about this, and if they could sell the 1,000+ people on that waitlist a $600 item, they wouldn't be hesitating... think about that sweet $600k giveaway - your Red Sea tank comes with its own house :)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. FWIW - the complaints aired here (and probably elsewhere) have led BRS to make a firm waiting list for the trident - there will be no more - rushes to the checkout - it will be done by phone message (according to how I read it) - so - in fact - this 'complaint' resulted in something that will improve everyone (who is shopping for a trident with BRS) a better experience.

OP
OP
OneFish

OneFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. FWIW - the complaints aired here (and probably elsewhere) have led BRS to make a firm waiting list for the trident - there will be no more - rushes to the checkout - it will be done by phone message (according to how I read it) - so - in fact - this 'complaint' resulted in something that will improve everyone (who is shopping for a trident with BRS) a better experience.
I just saw that. Should make the whole process a lot better! Like I said - productive criticism is much more useful than just bashing, but I am sure everyone agrees on that!

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS IS GREAT!!! I only wish they had some more budget products. Like harbor freight is to Home Depot. Promote some bang for the buck products. I spend my money with them primarily because of the information they provide with OUTSTANDING customer service. Keep up the good work BRS.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BR(best) is excellent and the time they take alone to educate the hobbyist is a huge value in itself

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 91 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back