BRS/WWC Cycle review

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got to the end of following the BRS/WWC cycle with my 50-gallon system (40g Display) and I wanted to share some thoughts on it. I'm returning to the hobby after almost a decade long break and thought id give this a try!

Month 1

I spent almost a month prior to starting the cycle maturing some dry rock prior to cycle. A sandbed of special grade aragonite was chosen. I filled and started the cycle proper with Dr. Tims and a whole shrimp. After about 3 weeks the shrimp had decayed and I decided to start ghost feeding and dosed some Microbacter-7 for 2 weeks.

Month 2

At the end end of about the first month, I was of course getting 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites and decided to turn on the lights and add a pair of snowflake Clowns. Another two weeks or so went by and a Lawnmower Blenny was added as some hair algae and diatoms started to get going. I also added some GSP and a zoanthid frag. Soon after this, the blenny took care of all of the algae and it seemed like its growth slowed to almost a stop. I don't know if the blenny was just taking care of it quicker then it could grow or my phosphates were just to low.

Month 3

I started seeing some Coraline growth and things seemed pretty stable. The rest of the fish were added as well as an additional small dose of MB-7. Around the middle of the month, I added some SPS and LPS Frags that could hold up to swings a little better. The test kits I was using at the time told me that the PH was high and I was having a hard time getting my alk above 7.5 and so I started dosing Sodium Bicarb. This didn't resolve the pH and Alk issue.

Month 4
So near the end of the 3rd month, the fairy wrasse got himself stuck in a rock and died. I got him out before he could really decay thankfully. I also picked up some better testing and a controller only to find out that my PH was pretty low (7.8) and my alk would still not raise despite that calcium and Magnesium being at slightly elevated levels (440 & 1400). I switched to Soda Ash to raise the PH. I also discovered that phosphates were incredibly low 0.02 on the PPM checker from my local LFS. I recently picked up a PPB checker and it confirmed that it was closer to 0.015 - 0.03. Nitrates around this time were between 20-30. All of this lead to a Cyano issue that along with higher temps started killing corals. To control the Nitrates I added a DIY Algae turf scrubber.

So here we are in the 5th month, overtime.

I decided to "transplant" the thin sand bed (1-2 Inches) to the sump in a container in the sump, yes this is destabilizing but I think it will help the health of the tank in the long run and it will allow me to remove the sandbed after a year to replace it with a new one as well as getting the benefits sand offers. I also started dosing some Phosphates that were immediately consumed and lead to a 0 reading but the margin of error means it could be around 5 ppb or 0 - 0.015 ppm. It also reduced my nitrates to the 0-5 range. Hopefully, soon the find some sort of equilibrium. My Alk will still not raise above 7.5 I'm not going to lie after about 3 and a half months of success the last 3 weeks have been frustrating but I'm hoping with some level of consistency things will level out.

Most of my SPS frags have RTN/STNed but the LPS and softies are fine, thankfully not to much money was invested in these frags but its still a bummer to let down a living thing.

So here is my conclusion
In my opinion, the 4-month cycle is essential for the beginner that wants to keep LPS and SPS as it gives a template but also enough time to figure out how you want to run your system especially if you're keeping a system with a smaller volume. I experienced a plethora of "a very small amount of refers will experience this" sort of events having a longer outlook on how long it can take to resolve some of these issues is a good thing to have in the back of your mind and this method teaches this. The cycle method also teaches beginners as well as people getting back into the hobby the sort of prerequisite knowledge and patience required to be patient and consistent in the amazing hobby.

Anyway hope my 5 cents have been helpful to some people wondering about this method. If any of you have any tips on some of the issues I'm having feel free to let me know!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back