Brute Can Cycle to Aquascape

Studio Deep Dive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all!
I'm in the middle of a brute can cycle (about a month in)with a bunch of dry rock and am looking ahead. My scape is likely to need some glue, epoxy or rods, and I'm wondering how to do that when the rock is already"live" at that point.

Can the rock be out of the water for a certain period of time? Do I have to do it all underwater when I move to the tank? Thanks for the help!

IMG_20190202_012904_838.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as the rock stays damp, the bacteria will survive. It may go dormant, so you should expect (plan for) a mini-cycle after the tank is all together that might take about a week or so to clear up. You can use a sprayer bottle to keep things moist while working with the rocks, and a soaked towel draped over the ones you aren't working with. You'll have time to work - hours, if needed - but don't take overlong at it for best results.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the rock be out of the water for a certain period of time? Do I have to do it all underwater when I move to the tank? Thanks for the help!
As long as it does not dry out you will be fine. As stated above you have hours.

OP
OP
Studio Deep Dive

Studio Deep Dive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Needed some peace of mind. This is my first tank, but I'm taking the 3-4 month cycle approach. I've got patience for days if it means doing it right the first time!

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mine by making the scape with dry rock and AF Stone Fix first, then soaked for 2-3 months. I used a square brute that fit all the pieces.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back