Brute Trash Can Ramp for Sliding Door

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure someone has had this problem. I am planning on using Brute trashcans to transport water from my garage to my tank through the sliding glass back door.

I'm looking for a ramp to make things easier and not mess up the bottom of the sliding glass door. Has anyone been able to find a legit ramp that works well for them?

There are so many options but I simply need something like this but can't find it anywhere.

upload_2019-4-1_14-55-0.png

Thanks all

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the wheels are great (I got 2 on wheels), but I'm looking for a hack to not have to lift the Brute Trash can with 20 Gallons of water over the threshold of the sliding glass door. I have found ramps which work on one side but was hoping someone in the hobby has found a better solution !

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like something i could use. Where did you purchase that? I've found this on Amazon, which seems like it could do the job, but this one is only 10 inches wide, (32 long).

upload_2019-4-1_15-42-34.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not personally used it. We have used similar ramps to bridge loading docks to load truck. The only problem I see with that one is holding it in position, but we can keep

I have an idea that is easier and cheaper. I fill my brute in a different room than my tank. Once it’s full I have another empty brute in my Fishroom. Throw a pump attached to hose in brute , as long as you need, and pump from one to the other. No heavy lifting, less possible spill.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e seen these mats at Habour Freight & auto parts stores, I'm sure a restaurant supply would have longer ones.
When rolling a barrel with 20 or 30 gls , I have 2 1/2 inch rises ( From tile to painted slab) that makes it difficult for me to get the wheels up & over. A mat like that might work wonders for me . Thanks for the idea !

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e seen these mats at Habour Freight & auto parts stores, I'm sure a restaurant supply would have longer ones.
When rolling a barrel with 20 or 30 gls , I have 2 1/2 inch That makes it difficult for me to get the wheels up & over. A mat like that might work wonders for me . Thanks for the idea !

Sure, glad I can help someone else with my problems too :) !

Are you speaking of the one that I posted, or one that Mastiffs Rule posted? I was at harbor freight and I didn't see any ramps there unfortunately yesterday. I have about 1-2 inches and I hope that this 12" pad will be big enough. However, I am concerned. The one I showed i found on amazon for about $45 bucks say's max 1.5 inches.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009QWAU8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that Mastiff posted it's a heavy rubber non slip mat.
Now I think about it .This mat wouldn't take the weight off the runner for your sliding door. A ridgid ramp would be best for you.

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one that Mastiff posted it's a heavy rubber non slip mat.
That is what I do. I have two Brutes on dollys and two 55 gallon drums on dollys. I just use a long hose and pump the water to wherever in the house I need it. I can also move the barrels full of water anywhere I need to, but it is easier for me to just pump the water.

U

User1

View Badges
Just wanted to throw this out there but those wheels on the brute containers are garbage - no pun intended. Of course this depends on how full the container is but I've had those wheels break on two different occasions now moving it from my garage around to a walk way. It didn't break at that moment but later on as I filled it up and was mixing water. Woke up in the morning to a lot of water on the garage floor sadly.

If you look at the base of the wheel it is molded with the wheels just pushed in. No clips or reinforcement. I'm actually going to build a wagon that will hold a pair of containers. One to hold the water to make the new mix and one empty to hold the water change. The idea is mix the water, roll to the tank, toss in power head with line out to empty tank. When full take pump place into fresh water and fill until empty. Once done wipe up mess, roll up cord and hose, tuck away, and roll it on out back to the garage.

The brute containers are great but those wheels are cheap in my experience so would be nervous moving it full of water over a ramp.

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think pumping from one can to the other is the easiest and cheapest, no heavy lifting. Cost of a strong cheap pump, second brute and done. (But it is my idea so of course I will like it)

But you can also search ramps for handicap/ wheelchairs

https://www.titanramps.com/wheelchair-ramps/5-multifold-aluminum-wheelchair-ramp.html

Yeah I like this idea, its just i don't have room for a 3rd Brute Container. Got one for RODI Storage, and another for Mixing, so thats why i was looking at ramp options.

Do you recall where you were able to purchase that ramp you showed a picture of?

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build one out of plywood? Then use a piece of sheathing to bridge from ground to plywood. Skaters do it all the time.
Yah, thought about building if nothing else exists which is already done at a reasonable price.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never bought one, just search for handicap/wheel chair access since kinda similar.

If you do build just remember it needs to hold the weight, and as mentioned the wheels may be an issue. I never used the wheels and comment beyond that

OP
OP
C

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to throw this out there but those wheels on the brute containers are garbage - no pun intended. Of course this depends on how full the container is but I've had those wheels break on two different occasions now moving it from my garage around to a walk way. It didn't break at that moment but later on as I filled it up and was mixing water. Woke up in the morning to a lot of water on the garage floor sadly.

If you look at the base of the wheel it is molded with the wheels just pushed in. No clips or reinforcement. I'm actually going to build a wagon that will hold a pair of containers. One to hold the water to make the new mix and one empty to hold the water change. The idea is mix the water, roll to the tank, toss in power head with line out to empty tank. When full take pump place into fresh water and fill until empty. Once done wipe up mess, roll up cord and hose, tuck away, and roll it on out back to the garage.

The brute containers are great but those wheels are cheap in my experience so would be nervous moving it full of water over a ramp.

Well that's unfortunate, I went with the whole brute on wheels to ease moving water. Have a similar plan, one brute on wheels for old water taken out of tank, and one brute on wheels for new water.

Looks like I might have to go and reinforce the wheels somehow or just check it constantly. Interested in how the wagon you put together turns out! How do you plan to get it from garage into house?

U

User1

View Badges
Well that's unfortunate, I went with the whole brute on wheels to ease moving water. Have a similar plan, one brute on wheels for old water taken out of tank, and one brute on wheels for new water.

Looks like I might have to go and reinforce the wheels somehow or just check it constantly. Interested in how the wagon you put together turns out! How do you plan to get it from garage into house?

I have a couple work benches on 4 and 5 inch casters which got me thinking about making my own cart if you will. They are urethane and do not scuff up the floors or leave marks. I am also considering a 6" wheel but the same concept applies. Just make my own wagon. I will have a door to go through similar to you be it garage or front. I'll have to make a ramp if I want to go inside. I usually leave the container outside in our courtyard and pass the hose through my window after removing the screen. If I do use a ramp then I just need to make sure the wheels are secure and large (wide and tall) to support the weight. Lag bolts into the base frame of 2x4's should be fine.

I'm going to go with 20 to 30 gallon containers in stead of the 44 brutes. So weight shouldn't be an issue and should be easier to move around. At least that is my plan. I did a water change today and I swore I would never do another one. I spilled so much water, couldn't get a decent siphon on my tank to pick up some hair algae off the sand bed (30" tall tank sadly). Just too cumbersome or I was just too stupid. In either case this is when I said enough is enough and will not use the brute again.

Thus the wagon. I use one when I go scuba diving to move our gear and tanks :) Should work for this and make my life a tad easer. Don't get me wrong the brutes are awesome sauce. Just not really mobile when full (that very well could be a user error on my part too!).

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not toss a pump in there, connect it to a python or similar hose, then use a remote control for the outlet ??
could use the same setup to pump water out of the tank too.

be easier than fighting a can in and out ??

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back