Bryan's 220 Build - Wrasses and More

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan, what I do is run a hang on the back filter on my QT with a sponge filter in it. I keep extra sponges for it on hand at all times and I always have one in my display sump. This way if I need to take down my QT I can and be ready to set it back up whenever I need to. I leave it running most of the time but I have had the filter get clogged and lose power and Murphys Law sets in all the time. This sponge is the heart of the QT though. Using tank water is not enough to establish your tank but a seeded sponge is like gold. Disregard all this if you already do all this.

As far as running hypo on your display goes, Sure as long as theres no corals or inverts in there I dont see why not.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to get my 40B Q tank setup with current tank water, and put my snails and crabs in there. Then, I'm going to run hypo-salinity in the display tank. With the huge skimmer putting oxygen into the water, and then the Osmolator keeping the water level almost exact, I think my setup is ideal for hypo. I did drop the salinity from 1.021 to around 1.017 already with a water change, but won't drop it anymore until the snails/hermits are in the other tank.

Also, my male Lineatus did die last night.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks man but sounds like your on the rigth path back!! it happen to evreyone at some point!! just gotta learn from it!

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Bryon, keep your head up and be patient. Time heals all. Patience is key.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brad. I'm pretty bummed out about it, since I was so excited when I was able to put fish in after a LONG build. However, I don't think I'm traveling for a bit, so at least I'll be able to focus on it and be patient.

At least doing hypo on the tank will cut down on the time required when I can begin to put new (quarantined) fish in. Hypo for 4 weeks is much better than waiting 8 or 9 by just leaving it empty

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, been two months since an update. Last fish was in the tank 9/17, so I'm on week 7 or 8 being fallow. Getting closer :)

The 40B quarantine tank has been running well, with a few inhabitants, including some cleaner shrimp and crabs. They will be moved to the display tank before I buy any fish. There are also pods running all over the place in there, but most get caught in the filter sock, in which I shake over the display tank to get them in there. The 40B has been empty for the same amount of time as the display.

Already getting excited to buy fish and stock back up, however, I'm going to take it slow. All the fish will go into Q tank before going into display unless its just not an option, like too big of a fish, much higher chance of dying, etc. However, a 40B should be large enough for the majority of fish going into my display tank.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan Bryan, excited to see you moving forward.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Looking forward to getting some movement back in the tank. Pretty boring to look at an LED lit tank with only snails and crabs in it :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a few fish from LA and DD today for the tank. Got a Juvenile Orange Shoulder tang, a small butterfly, and three wrasses. The ones that I got from DD will probably just go into the display since they do their own quarantine, where the others will go into the Q tank. I know I should put them all in quarantine, but putting 3 fish in the Q tank instead of 5 will probably be less stressful.

Wrasses are a Long Fin Fairy, Red Head Solon, and the Royal Flasher wrasse.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the shipment in today, everybody looks great so far. Spotfin butterfly and Solorensis are a bit bigger than I anticipated, but with a empty 220, I don't think its going to make a difference :) The Orange Shoulder, even though I ordered a Medium, its much smaller than I thought he would be, but I'm glad he's healthy and active already. The Royal Flasher is the only one that is stressed out enough to be worried about, but I think he'll come around.

After putting in the tank, I put some Rods Reef in there and watched the tang, solorensis and the Long Fin eat immediately. The butterfly seemed interested and the Royal flasher was still breathing hard and not worried about eating. Will update later on how they are doing.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some pics of the new fish today....

DSC_3118.jpg

DSC_3114.jpg

DSC_3111.jpg

DSC_3095.jpg

DSC_3094.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm hoping time heals all wounds and these guys do great in the tank and I can continue to stock it up finally.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: All the fish seem to be doing great. The Royal Flasher wrasse is swimming around the tank quite a bit, while the Long Fin is not as brave yet. The Royal Flashers colors are awesome, very nice looking fish.

The fish in quarantine seem to be doing great too, swimming around the whole tank and eating well. The butterfly doesn't seem to care for Rods, but he's been eating mysis though. I know its only been a day, but I'm keeping a close eye on them to watch for any ich - which is the biggest thing I'm concerned about right now.

The fish will stay in quarantine at least two weeks, and will be moved over the weekend after Thanksgiving if all goes well. That will empty the quarantine tank for some new additions that I'll order the week after since I"m on vacation :)

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Fish in both the display and quarantine are doing great, everybody is out swimming and eating well. The butterfly is starting to come around to the Rods Reef, but its chowing down on some PE Mysis which I've been soaking in VitaChem or Selcon before feeding. I put in a nori sheet for the tang, but unsure if he ate much of it.

Just placed an order for two fish to come the week after thanksgiving...can't wait. Both will go to quarantine for at least 3-4 weeks. Here is the pic of one I got... :)

591-1113-thickbox.jpg

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that? Its amazing!

He's a Leopard Blenny. After doing some research, I will probably back off since I've read he's a specialized eater, mainly SPS polyps. I'm honestly not looking for any specialized fish right now that I can to provide special foods.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • Full frame

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back