Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis looks like tiny ferns, it's almost leafy.
That looks like something I had, was like hair algae but thicker and rubbery - my tangs went tnuts for it and I was able to move things around between systems until they obliterated it

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Wonder what kind of algae it is then? It is as tough as nails... I can't easily break it off. It's been 16 days now. Would you wait an additional 2 weeks then dose again? Whatever it is, it came in on a snail and someone told me it was bryopsis.

It looks wiry, so maybe it's turf algae?

T2LEE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried FishLife Fluconazole to battle bryopsis in their tanks?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason why you shouldn't do water changes with a proper amount of fluconazone in it?

A serious waste of antibiotics....don't send them down the drain before they've had a chance to do their job. I'd only do this if you have no choice on the water change.

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bro. I dosed my tank with it yesterday! Did you use 20mg per gallon?

Roughly, I have a Red Sea Max E-260 which is about 69 gallons. I dosed 1000mg, assuming 50 gal of water, to account for some rock displacement.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began treatment 3 days ago and some of the smallest patches of algae are gone! There are other different types of algae that at the moment look just the same. I noticed less algae on the glass to clean though.

I removed the skimmer and carbon since day 1 but I will continue to do water changes regularly.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you need to turn the skimmer completely off the first few days and not just leave it running with the cup off? I rely on my skimmer for my pH control (co2 scubber).

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing the fluconazole dosing on my SPS tank. I have been keeping bryopsis somewhat controlled by manual removal weekly, but I don't see it going away any time soon.

Have any of you had any invert loss or SPS loss dosing this?

My livestock includes:
Hippo tang
Kole tang
Melanarus wrasse
Leopard wrasse x2
Midas blenny
Clownfish
Foxface
Cleaner shrimp
Royal urchin
Harlequin shrimp

My SPS looks better than ever so I'm really reluctant to add a chemical to my tank, but as I said nutrient control along doesn't seem to cut it.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you need to turn the skimmer completely off the first few days and not just leave it running with the cup off? I rely on my skimmer for my pH control (co2 scubber).

I have a hang on back skimmer and if I run it without the cup I will be having foam spilling out to the floor, so I will be without skimmer for the whole treatment.

That's the reason I am also letting the macro algae go wild in the main tank, stopped feeding everything other than the fish and I will do 15% weekly water changes with the proper amount of fluconazol.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a conundrum, I have both GHA and Bryopsis. There's a lot of GHA in the refugium and just a little bit of Bryopsis in the DT. The Bryopsis hasn't really spread or grown out it's been the same for a while now, I see small tufts of it here and there sticking out between crevices. I don't know if I should dose the Fluconazole for the little bit of Bryopsis I have.
Whatever I tried to grow in the refugium just dies except for the GHA. I feel the GHA in the refugium is sort of like an ATS, I pull some out when it gets overgrown. I'd like to kill the Bryopsis just in case it starts to take off and spread but I don't want to kill the GHA because I feel this is using up nutrients and keeping the algae in the DT in control. Another reason I'm reluctant is I had Dino's this past spring that wiped out some Acro colonies and I'm afraid after dosing and killing the Bryopsis and GHA that it might throw the tank out of balance and spur the Dino's again. What to do?

mitchell01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
197253861b66a27f51dbcf0d4fe29f0c.jpg
dosed flucanzole once and chemi clean twice any ideas

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosed flucanzole once and chemi clean twice any ideas

You're probably doing too many anti-nutrient activities and it's driving cyano (and whatever it's growing on crazy). That's a guess from the pic.

Nothing I see in that pic looks like bryopsis, so it might be too bad that you already dosed fluconazole. (Am I missing something in the pic?)

If you have a thread of your own, can you PM it to me or link it here? Curious about the tank's history, test restults, etc.....but here is not the place. :) :)

mitchell01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably doing too many anti-nutrient activities and it's driving cyano (and whatever it's growing on crazy). That's a guess from the pic.

Nothing I see in that pic looks like bryopsis, so it might be too bad that you already dosed fluconazole. (Am I missing something in the pic?)

If you have a thread of your own, can you PM it to me or link it here? Curious about the tank's history, test restults, etc.....but here is not the place. :) :)

I do not have my own thread any ideas?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's a weird one for you guys...

I dosed my tank Saturday and today the bryopsis is mostly gone. What's left is white. That's not the weird part...

I just tested my phosphate (hanna ULR Phosphorous) and it is zero ppb phosphorous. I've tested it three times. All zero ppb. My phosphorous was 15ppb (0.03ppm PO4) on Friday... I will say that I have a ball of chaeto spinning in the refugium under a red grow light 24/7 and it has grown quickly, but ZERO ppb phosphorous?? What the heck...

Back