Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

wlittlefield

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I treated the tank back in August and it worked like a charm.

12A75E97-DC91-4829-8277-6BE0269726F4.jpeg
F9CE59B9-6FEF-4CB8-98C7-23FAFBD7F90B.jpeg
I just saw this little patch. Do you do reckon that it’s bryopsis back from the dead? And if so, do I re-treat or try to take out the patch with hydrogen peroxide an a tooth brush. I can probably pull the whole rock out to do it...

Ps my coral isn’t bleached it’s just nighttime and the white light of the flashlight.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work with red turf or red hair algae (is this even a thing)?
I did not get results with red algae, using the same dosage that works on green and brown algae. I think the difference is that red algae have cholesterol on their walls, not ergosterol.

Best regards

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this little patch. Do you do reckon that it’s bryopsis back from the dead? And if so, do I re-treat or try to take out the patch with hydrogen peroxide an a tooth brush. I can probably pull the whole rock out to do it...
Yes, it looks like Bryopsis pennata. It will respond well to Fluconazole, but if you can remove the rock to treat it, scraping and H2O2 may be attempted.

Best regards

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested, I completed 21 days of Flucon in an attempt to beat GHA. This past weekend marked the end of the 21 days and my first WC since starting. It worked incredibly well. I went with the 200 per gallon equation. I dosed Vibrant throughout, which I think has kept my PO4 and NO3 down as my test results for those never changed, however I'm using API kits, and I never took their PO4 tests as being terribly accurate. It seems like the GHA that held on was in low flow areas that just didn't have enough flow to push it off the rock, it all came off really easily by hand on day 21. Hopefully nutrient control and my lawnmower blenny will keep it all from coming back in force.

The tank is a sump-less 40B, I don't run carbon or GFO, just do water changes and Vibrant.

48A1F89C-E1DC-4CF5-99A9-737AB69B26D9.jpeg

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested, I completed 21 days of Flucon in an attempt to beat GHA. This past weekend marked the end of the 21 days and my first WC since starting. It worked incredibly well. I went with the 200 per gallon equation. I dosed Vibrant throughout, which I think has kept my PO4 and NO3 down as my test results for those never changed, however I'm using API kits, and I never took their PO4 tests as being terribly accurate. It seems like the GHA that held on was in low flow areas that just didn't have enough flow to push it off the rock, it all came off really easily by hand on day 21. Hopefully nutrient control and my lawnmower blenny will keep it all from coming back in force.

The tank is a sump-less 40B, I don't run carbon or GFO, just do water changes and Vibrant.

48A1F89C-E1DC-4CF5-99A9-737AB69B26D9.jpeg
200 mg per gallon? That's 10x the recommended dose.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to start treatment I have 10 capsules on the way. I have read through most of this and other threads on treatment but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row. I am not 100% positive on my actual water volume, I have a 75g display and a 40g sump. However through trial and error I know that dosing 50ml of pre mixed BRS soda ash raises my Alk exactly 1dkh and toying with the BRS online calculator that comes out to 70 gallons exactly. So that being said I will dose 7 capsules. I am targeting GHA specifically so these are the steps I will take.

1. Day 1 I will use a stif tooth brush to remove as much GHA as possible and do a water change
2. Replace DIY felt filter sock for a clean one
3. Skimmer will remain running but I will just leave the drain tube open
4. Removing carbon from my reactor
5. Add fresh GFO to my reactor
6. Clean ATS screen and leave it running
7. let it sit for 14-21 days or until GHA is no longer spreading, do a water change, start skimming again, and add carbon.

Does this sound right? I am on the fence about the ATS. Some say they keep them running others take them offline.

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we have any consensus on running a skimmer after the first couple of days? I dosed on the 10th and my phosphates have doubled to about .09. I've dosed nopox to see how that deals with it but I'd definitely like to get the skimmer back online.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we have any consensus on running a skimmer after the first couple of days? I dosed on the 10th and my phosphates have doubled to about .09. I've dosed nopox to see how that deals with it but I'd definitely like to get the skimmer back online.
You can run GFO without any problem and can perform WC by replacing the same ratio of fluconazole to the starting dose.

Best regards

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Day 1 I will use a stif tooth brush to remove as much GHA as possible and do a water change
2. Replace DIY felt filter sock for a clean one
3. Skimmer will remain running but I will just leave the drain tube open
4. Removing carbon from my reactor
5. Add fresh GFO to my reactor
6. Clean ATS screen and leave it running
7. let it sit for 14-21 days or until GHA is no longer spreading, do a water change, start skimming again, and add carbon.
1. Sometimes pruning has the effect of delaying the result of Fluconazole, but you can do so to reduce the load of nutrients added to the system.
2. Yes, that's right.
3. Yes, that's right.
4. Yes, that's right.
5. Yes, that's right.
6. Preferably remove ATS so it will not accumulate fluconazole residues;
7. Yes, that's right.

Best regards

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can phosphate rx be added while doing a fluconazole treatment? I’m on day 6 right now but I have 15 fish and don’t want my po4 levels to rise too high. I also dose nopox 6 ml a day and have continued to dose it during this treatment.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can phosphate rx be added while doing a fluconazole treatment? I’m on day 6 right now but I have 15 fish and don’t want my po4 levels to rise too high. I also dose nopox 6 ml a day and have continued to dose it during this treatment.
Phosphate RX is a product based on lanthanum chloride, for fixing phosphates. In human medicine, a lanthanum - based product (Fosrenol - lanthanum carbonate) is also used to control phosphates in patients with end - stage renal failure. For this medication (lanthanum carbonate), it is recommended that it not be used in conjunction with other medications, including itraconazole (a chemical relative of fluconazole), by the possibility of binding and mutual inactivation in the digestive tract, which could lead to failure in the dosage.

On the direct interaction between fluconazole and lanthanum there are no references.

The use of Fluconazole with GFO for phosphate control has been shown to be safe.

Best regards

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well I told everyone I would update. I started flucanzole for the second time starting on 1/10/18. Came home this evening and sure enough my Blueberry Diesel acro is RTNing! Pretty annoyed by this as this is my second attempt at flucanzole and both times ive had acros rtn. This time I've closely monitored my parameters including Phosphates/Nitrates and everything is well within the acceptable range. I don't have an answer as to why I've been this unlucky when others that have SPS dominant tanks don't seem to have any issues. I believe @coralcruze may be on to something. My system is only around 65g total and all of my acros are just frags. Maybe the frags just aren't mature enough and can't handle whatever this medication does while full blown colonies are? I don't have an answer but I can't say that I will ever be using flucanzole again sadly.

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note. I'll be doing water changes and also adding a bag of carbon to pull this out as quickly as possible. I don't generally run carbon but is it safe or any more effective to use more than is recommended to remove the medication faster? I'm using the BRS Rox 0.8. Thanks everyone

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note. I'll be doing water changes and also adding a bag of carbon to pull this out as quickly as possible. I don't generally run carbon but is it safe or any more effective to use more than is recommended to remove the medication faster? I'm using the BRS Rox 0.8. Thanks everyone
I sincerely regret your misfortune, but I really can not, in the face of massive results from other experiments with practically all species of corals in captivity, to adopt the line that has a cause / effect relationship there.

Indeed, deleterious side effects can occur, even in humans, with any drug, hence the need for thorough drug testing in the intended biological context prior to any launch.

Even so, and as well as experiments are, there are the so-called idiosyncrasies, extremely individual and particular responses of which in human medicine we have allergy as one of them, but I do not know the immune system of corals, enough, to know if they are capable of allergic responses.

In any case, and from what is known (by the effects on the algae) the withdrawal of the drug is quick by the skimmer and the activated charcoal, which is perceived by the quick return of the algae-slime of the glass, returning to the usual maintenance of the aquarium, after treatment.

Best regards

Last edited:

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a matter of fact, and in order to ease doubts, I present below a study carried out on the adsorption of Fluconazole in activated charcoal, in a context of fulvic acid presence, exactly, or very close, to what may occur in a marine aquarium, in which the fulvic and humic acids are released by algae:

Adsorption of organic and inorganic compounds on activated carbon and biochar

"In figure 8 (page 15) it can be seen that when fulvic acid was present during the adsorption on activated carbon other organic compounds was present after adsorption. Perfluorooctanoic acid, PFOA, and Fluconazole is observed to decrease much in concentration when AC was added and then the concentration appears to be under the detection limit."

The study is interesting because it contains, in addition to Fluconazole, the effects of adsorption of activated carbon on many other substances of interest for aquarism and also justifies the need to withdraw the activated charcoal when taking the treatment using fluconazole.

Best regards

Last edited:

Slevin007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready for my 3rd treatment. I say 3rd and by no means am I implying it doesn’t work. This is 3 different tanks. It worked perfectly on the first 2

I have a question for this 3rd one. I’ve seen a few people mention they left phosguard in or running. I have a bio reactor with phosguard in. Can I leave it or has there been any major issues.

Thanks for the help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back