Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Did Fluconazole Kill all of your Bryopsis?

• Yes

• No

• I'm treating my tank with it now.

• I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer went crazy when I forgot to turn it off.

3 days later it was fine.

I'm on my second treatment of flucanozole now. This is 2 treatments over approximately 2 months now.

My hair algea isnt dieing yet. I did hook up GFO now. I hope that creates another limiting factor.

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a second round of Fluconazole, visible bryopisos erradicated.... I have a persistent spot on the rocks that the bryopsis starts to come back at. Since it's only one rock, I should really remove it. Unfortnatley, it's a base rock and dismantling all the rock is quite the PIA. Going to just do it... this spot keeps growing back. Roots must go deep

DeepBlueSeaV1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a second round of Fluconazole, visible bryopisos erradicated.... I have a persistent spot on the rocks that the bryopsis starts to come back at. Since it's only one rock, I should really remove it. Unfortnatley, it's a base rock and dismantling all the rock is quite the PIA. Going to just do it... this spot keeps growing back. Roots must go deep

hawkeye792001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 2 treatments over 2 months for GHA. I took the skimmer offline for 3 days each dose. I left gfo running. The hair algea keeps slowly growing. I'm doing 30% water changes ever 2 weeks.

Any advice?

Zonly1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had about 5 patches of bryopsis on one rather large rock in my DT. The rock was completely dead when I added it into the tank a few months ago and in the spots that it is/was growing, there were no frag plugs or coral there, so it was not transported in. I have to assume this stuff is bad butt and can remain dormant unit conditions are right. It literally just appeared and started growing. At first I assumed that it was GHA but my sailfin would hit it and then leave it be. As it continued to grow, I knew I had a potential problem on my hands. I have ~200 gallons so I shut off the reactor with my AC, took the collection cup off of the skimmer and dosed two bottles (20 capsules) of Reef Flux. The capsules were not in blister packs and easy to take apart. After adding to my sump, it took about 3 days before I noticed anything happening. The transformation was slow, but very exciting to watch this crap die right in front of my eyes! As of now, after 7 days, there is no trace of it. I had my skimmer cup free for all seven days due to my tank being fairly new and my parameters are in good shape. (Phos .07 < and Nitrate a little too low at .5.) I will refrain from water changes and AC for the enter 14 ish days. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about this treatment. I did lose a strawberry shortcake, but cannot definitively blame the mediation. If there is any relapse I will certainly update this thread, but so far so good. Thank you for sharing this OP.

Luke Schnabel

I like corals...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve started to see a lot of foam getting stuck the the sides of my sump in my skimmer section. I took the skimmer pump off and just have it laying in the bottom of the tank on to give added oxygen. Should I add a little more medication to the system later on in case it’s pulling some out in the foam. I only dosed the low end of the recommended dose

kellysheroes3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NCreefguy
I treated GHA and Bryopsis with fluconazol. but in that time you don`t said about continuous dosage and they came back. now i`m happy that you added it.
you said that after 3-6 weeks treatment we can use activated carbon. also If I understood correctly, you said after treatment we can dose ( for example ) 10% of the original dose, after each 10% weekly WC for continuous dosage. When we used activated carbon after treatment, it can remove fluconazol. what is your solution for this problem ?
I have the same question as Imaan and didn't see an answer. Can anyone who has been experimenting with continuous low dosage of fluconazol provide an update including skimmer and carbon use during continuous dosage? Should I assume that I will not be using carbon ever when I am low dosing fluconazol? Thanks.

AnnaVoronina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, tell me,please
I understand correctly that
-the carbon must be removed;
-the GFO can be left, the flotator can be left;
Zeolite reactor can be left or stopped?

AnnaVoronina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it's the opposite. Carbon will remove the medication so you want to take it out in the beginning
Yes. I carefully read the beginning of the topic, I agree that carbon should be removed.
What advice do you have for a zeolite reactor?
I started treatment now. Since several acropora suffer from briopsis.

AnnaVoronina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I carefully read the beginning of the topic, I agree that carbon should be removed.
What advice do you have for a zeolite reactor?
I started treatment now. Since several acropora suffer from briopsis.

P1090956.JPG

P1100044.JPG

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am on week 4 of treatment. I have been told that I have an especially bad form of Bryopsis. It has knocked the Bryopsis way way back, but I still have patches. Did anyone else have to treat this long? I want to start water changes again! And I have terrible cyano I want to treat from vibrant. Can I use chemiclean with the fluconazole?

Thanks

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am on week 4 of treatment. I have been told that I have an especially bad form of Bryopsis. It has knocked the Bryopsis way way back, but I still have patches. Did anyone else have to treat this long? I want to start water changes again! And I have terrible cyano I want to treat from vibrant. Can I use chemiclean with the fluconazole?

Thanks
I'm having similar results and questions. Dosed Dec 21 and still have green patches. Skimmer is still off and cyano making things ugly.

AnnaVoronina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having similar results and questions. Dosed Dec 21 and still have green patches. Skimmer is still off and cyano making things ugly.
I have many fish and SPS. I did not dare to turn off the flotator for a long time.
First moved the bowl of the flotator, 1.5 days later returned to the place of the bowl and adjusted the valve on the flotator. Now works on very dry foam. Today, some changes bryopsida visible. SPS is normal, anthias the tips of the tail fin a bright color, like paint. Fish behavior is normal, appetite good.

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just finished a 4 week treatment last Sunday. In weeks 1 and 2 I noticed huge die off. After that I still had patches. Weeks 3 and 4 there was still die off but the patches still grew denser. Not sure if those patches are just regular GHA (although my hermits still wont touch it) or if potentially the fluconazole gets absorbed by bryopsis and slowly gets depleted in the system?

AnnaVoronina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just finished a 4 week treatment last Sunday. In weeks 1 and 2 I noticed huge die off. After that I still had patches. Weeks 3 and 4 there was still die off but the patches still grew denser. Not sure if those patches are just regular GHA (although my hermits still wont touch it) or if potentially the fluconazole gets absorbed by bryopsis and slowly gets depleted in the system?
Maybe we should do a routine water change. Keep nitrate / phosphate parameters close to zero. Remove any light except blue.
And watch the situation.

AnnaVoronina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes, but I dose my replacement water with fluconazole.
At the beginning of the topic somewhere there were reports of the introduction of fluconazole in small doses. I can not write anything about it in practice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back