Bryopsis or Turf Algae - what am I fighting?

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing my first algae out break in this 7 month old tank. I thought it was GHA, but it's unlke any GHA that i've ever had in previous tanks. It's basically glued to the rocks and does not pull of and almost impossible to scrub off. Nurtients are always low with phos generally < .05 and nitrate < 1. I've been trying to raise nutrients slightly with NeoNitro and feeding reef roids but admit that I get off schedule and end up low again.

I can't tell if this is as "fern like" as other Byropsis photos.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg
IMG_1882.jpeg
IMG_1875.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bryopsis. To test, pull it. If there is a tug or a rip like you are ripping gras out of the ground, its bryopsis.

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strands will look like a fern leaf if it is bryopsis.
That's why I posted - it's defintiely not GHA. I've battled enough GHA in other tanks to know what it looks and feels like when pulling from rocks. But at the same time, I am hesitant to say it looks like a fern. It does have multiple strands off a single stalk (for lack of better term) but it doesn't look exactly like some of the classic fern bryposis photos i've seen posted here.

I am a little worried to start a reeflux treatment without knowing for sure what I am chasing.

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bryopsis. To test, pull it. If there is a tug or a rip like you are ripping gras out of the ground, its bryopsis.
On the sand bed, it pulls easily in large clumps like GHA. However, on the rocks, it's attached firmly and very hard to pull off. It's even hard to remove when scrubbing with a toothbruh. I am researching all the past threads about Reeflux now and will likely try it. I am just hesitant since it does not look as fern-like as other photos.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the sand bed, it pulls easily in large clumps like GHA. However, on the rocks, it's attached firmly and very hard to pull off. It's even hard to remove when scrubbing with a toothbruh. I am researching all the past threads about Reeflux now and will likely try it. I am just hesitant since it does not look as fern-like as other photos.

I would go with flux rx over reef flux. I think the dosage is better.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back