Bryopsis?

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

I have some algae stuff growing like crazy lately. It’s pretty difficult to remove from the rocks manually. I think it’s bryopsis, but just want to make sure before trying a fluconazole treatment.

Would be great if someone could confirm (or ID otherwise).

IMG_4507.jpeg

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the same stuff I have. Just started a ReefFlux treatment and I’m on day 3… it’s already turning white and releasing when I blow the rocks off.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like bryopsis to me. I recently had it in my tank and dosed a tiny amount of Reef Flux 2 weeks ago and mine is completely gone.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like bryopsis to me. I recently had it in my tank and dosed a tiny amount of Reef Flux 2 weeks ago and mine is completely gone.
I’m on round 2. First treatment landed me a Dino takeover. Been dosing pods, live phyto, and NO3/PO4 to handle that, and the bryopsis snuck its way back. Hitting it again with elevated nutrients and hoping “nature” will takes its course and lend me a hand. lol.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on round 2. First treatment landed me a Dino takeover. Been dosing pods, live phyto, and NO3/PO4 to handle that, and the bryopsis snuck its way back. Hitting it again with elevated nutrients and hoping “nature” will takes its course and lend me a hand. lol.
I’ve had both and I would definitely take bryopsis over dinos any day.
I have an issue with high nutrients so I doubt dinos will be an issue for me. I’m hoping I don’t have bryopsis come back, but if I do I’ll just do another micro dose of reef flux. In the thread I linked there are several people who said it took them a few micro doses to completely get rid of the bryopsis.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both and I would definitely take bryopsis over dinos any day.
I have an issue with high nutrients so I doubt dinos will be an issue for me. I’m hoping I don’t have bryopsis come back, but if I do I’ll just do another micro dose of reef flux. In the thread I linked there are several people who said it took them a few micro doses to completely get rid of the bryopsis.
Yea, dinos are definitely less preferred than bryopsis. Though I’m clumping them on a fairly similar level of nuisance/aggravation. I’ve read the same thing about multiple fluc treatments. I will say, my first round I didn’t get results as quickly as I’m getting this time, and the dose was the same, which I’m curious about.

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. That’s really helpful.

However, I’m in Europe where you can get Fluconazole only through a local vet. Reef Flux isn’t available here, so I wonder if the Fluconazole dosage would be the same as Reef Flux dosage. It seems that 20mg/gal is the norm, or half of it. Just want to avoid nuking my tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. That’s really helpful.

However, I’m in Europe where you can get Fluconazole only through a local vet. Reef Flux isn’t available here, so I wonder if the Fluconazole dosage would be the same as Reef Flux dosage. It seems that 20mg/gal is the norm, or half of it. Just want to avoid nuking my tank.
Same stuff.
Fluconazole is reef Flux just under a brand name.
I would definatly recommend micro dosing as to not upset the system to much. 1/10 dose even. If you don't see improvements do another.
It takes time either way.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back