Bryopsis?

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So having a heck of a time…. Seems like every time I try hand removal it just blows up 10 x worse a week later. Thought it was gha but inverts/ foxface and starry won’t touch it!!! I do have a tiff of Bryopsis I’ll attach as the last pic(fairly certain) but wondering if it all isn’t just a couple different types? Anyway I started a Fluconazole treatment yesterday…

tank is 1.2 years old ( algae problems really picked up a month ago…
Salinity is 1.026
No3 is hovering around 3 now. Was steady around 15-20 for months

Po4 is .08…. Was steady around .18-.2 for months

alk is 7.75… slightly lower as the flux brought them down a bit over night from 8.12( been steady there for months. Been dosing for 6 ish months

calcium is 420 now.was actually around 300 Tested with new tests ( was using Hanna for the last year and always showed high 450-500… Red Sea and Salifert are pretty close. Bumped up to 420 within the last week

mag is at 1400 now. Hanna test was always showing super high 1600-1800 . Tried salifert and AF and was sitting around 1200 bumped that up within the last week to 1400

Hoping to get a little insight as to what I got going on. Making me want to pull my hair out.
686351BB-23EF-4EF9-BE28-C2520FA87C6B.jpeg
4D723884-372B-4AEA-9D19-38FDEAE98403.jpeg
DE0486CE-272C-4806-AC23-EBA184296C41.jpeg
20861DE2-0760-4510-87EC-250DDEA04AF1.jpeg

467AA4BC-4E37-4EB1-BA62-F7AF1094C4C5.jpeg
Pretty sure this second to last one is Bryopsis for sure …
all of the algae is deep rooted and hard to remove( grab it and can move a whole rock) growing right out of the middle of a lot of my coral….

thanks for your time!!!
2790BA5E-A233-49F5-AB3F-1072E2822442.jpeg

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's bryopsis, not 100% sure bit I had it a while ago and this looks different. For me I just kept pulling out chunks of it every weeks until it stocked appearing.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's bryopsis, not 100% sure bit I had it a while ago and this looks different. For me I just kept pulling out chunks of it every weeks until it stocked appearing.
I’m pretty positive that dark green patch is…. I’ve just been hitting it with my reef delete and h202 for the last couple months so it’s not grown out into the fern like structure. But everything else I have no idea. Maybe gha but relentless and nothing touches it( except me and it spreads like wild fire every time

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! So having a heck of a time…. Seems like every time I try hand removal it just blows up 10 x worse a week later. Thought it was gha but inverts/ foxface and starry won’t touch it!!! I do have a tiff of Bryopsis I’ll attach as the last pic(fairly certain) but wondering if it all isn’t just a couple different types? Anyway I started a Fluconazole treatment yesterday…

tank is 1.2 years old ( algae problems really picked up a month ago…
Salinity is 1.026
No3 is hovering around 3 now. Was steady around 15-20 for months

Po4 is .08…. Was steady around .18-.2 for months

alk is 7.75… slightly lower as the flux brought them down a bit over night from 8.12( been steady there for months. Been dosing for 6 ish months

calcium is 420 now.was actually around 300 Tested with new tests ( was using Hanna for the last year and always showed high 450-500… Red Sea and Salifert are pretty close. Bumped up to 420 within the last week

mag is at 1400 now. Hanna test was always showing super high 1600-1800 . Tried salifert and AF and was sitting around 1200 bumped that up within the last week to 1400

Hoping to get a little insight as to what I got going on. Making me want to pull my hair out.
686351BB-23EF-4EF9-BE28-C2520FA87C6B.jpeg
4D723884-372B-4AEA-9D19-38FDEAE98403.jpeg
DE0486CE-272C-4806-AC23-EBA184296C41.jpeg
20861DE2-0760-4510-87EC-250DDEA04AF1.jpeg

467AA4BC-4E37-4EB1-BA62-F7AF1094C4C5.jpeg
Pretty sure this second to last one is Bryopsis for sure …
all of the algae is deep rooted and hard to remove( grab it and can move a whole rock) growing right out of the middle of a lot of my coral….

thanks for your time!!!
2790BA5E-A233-49F5-AB3F-1072E2822442.jpeg
yES IT IS.
This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yES IT IS.
This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN @!!3
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae
Thanks man! You have helped me with every post I have posted in the last year I think so the tank is 150 gallons. A lot of rock cemented together with mortar… encrusting coral all over….. trying a Fluconazole treatment to try and just get it all as it’s on about every rock of the tank. I tried manually removing this gha for a long time and you know what that does to Bryopsis I’m sure! Over read stories anyway…. So hope that works out for me without too much other malfunctions. Just hoping not to get Dino’s again.
Thank you again! I owe you and a couple others for making it as far as I have! So wish I would’ve asked before trying to remove this crap. . Got gfo in the tank now. Ready to add more as needed

Attachments

• C699902F-6762-4969-8BBB-22A88083893B.jpeg
    C699902F-6762-4969-8BBB-22A88083893B.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 47

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks man! You have helped me with every post I have posted in the last year I think so the tank is 150 gallons. A lot of rock cemented together with mortar… encrusting coral all over….. trying a Fluconazole treatment to try and just get it all as it’s on about every rock of the tank. I tried manually removing this gha for a long time and you know what that does to Bryopsis I’m sure! Over read stories anyway…. So hope that works out for me without too much other malfunctions. Just hoping not to get Dino’s again.
Thank you again! I owe you and a couple others for making it as far as I have! So wish I would’ve asked before trying to remove this crap. . Got gfo in the tank now. Ready to add more as needed
awesome
You can start in the tank and finish with mentioned cleaner crew . Flux is hit and miss as again- It must get to the roots. Keep an eye on any coral when you use flux

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome
You can start in the tank and finish with mentioned cleaner crew . Flux is hit and miss as again- It must get to the roots. Keep an eye on any coral when you use flux
Thank you!!!! I’ll keep treatment going as long as I can safely And study up on the inverts.. appreciate it.

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use blue life flux RX and it worked wonders within 1 week.

I had to repeat it 1-2 month after the first dose. After that it never came back. That was 1.5 year ago.

Did not loose or stress any coral from what I was able to see. I do mostly have SPS corals

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s refreshing to hear because I have spread the stuff so bad! My biggish issue is going to be nutrient export I think. One day in and already a bunch of long strands floating around. Just going to try and stick on the filter socks as good as I can. Got gfo in a bag . Did you run a skimmer? Just don’t want to pull meds. ( it’s running just no skimmer cup.) And did you run uv? Got mine going. Thanks!

Swiss Frag Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running the slimmer all the time, just removed the carbon. I never made even a water change after the use of it.

I definitely did not have as much as you. Since you have more a water change may be wise.

It looked like this.

C037F9D0-04C8-4214-A50C-2F5C40607A8C.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bryopsis. Pull it out all the time, but as you found out, it breaks leaving the roots. Planning on fluconazole

20220905_173223.jpg

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice well I’ll get the skimmer back online in the am! Pull out as much crap as I can. I’m pretty regular on the water changes…. Waiting is what’s going to kill me thank you! Nice hearing good things about it

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yES IT IS.
This is one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN @!!3

Did all of these pictures look like Bryopsis to you? I’m pretty positive the one pic with the darker branches was Bryopsis. It’s faded to almost nothing now but most of the other stuff doesn’t really seem to phased yet. Flux is definitely working for what I thought was Bryopsis to begin with though! So not a waste so far! Just curious if it all looked like some form of Bryopsis to you? Maybe a turf algae.
Have a microscope coming I finally ordered one… should know what it is in a week or 2!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did all of these pictures look like Bryopsis to you? I’m pretty positive the one pic with the darker branches was Bryopsis. It’s faded to almost nothing now but most of the other stuff doesn’t really seem to phased yet. Flux is definitely working for what I thought was Bryopsis to begin with though! So not a waste so far! Just curious if it all looked like some form of Bryopsis to you? Maybe a turf algae.
Have a microscope coming I finally ordered one… should know what it is in a week or 2!
No - there is some what is called Lyngbya mixed in and is similar to GHA but is made more of filaments rather than grassy substance and again you want to pull it and treat as with Bryopsis due to its stubborn growth.

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - there is some what is called Lyngbya mixed in and is similar to GHA but is made more of filaments rather than grassy substance and again you want to pull it and treat as with Bryopsis due to its stubborn growth.
Thank you! I’ll look in to it and do some reading too. Hoping the flux can help with that too as it’s way more of my problem then the Bryopsis was. Though I’m definitely glad I got on the Bryopsis sooner then later too cus dang it’s hard to kill. But luckily I had a feeling it was Bryopsis from the beginning so never touched and spread that stuff( just h202 and my reef delete. All that did was give it a haircut though.
The lyngbya is definitely a spreader! any good ways to treat that specific algae? Just watch my nutrients and syphon it out as much as I can?
Sorry for taking more of your time!! Appreciate it

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light green stuff looks like gha, my Tangs didn’t like the stuff. The Dark Green looks like Byropsis, my Tangs will eat that, and keep it under control. The gha will grow over Byropsis, and smother it. I purchased Fluconazole, fellow Reefer Suggestion Vodka Dosing instead for the gha, since the Fluconazole, would kill off my desirable Macros. The Vodka is working great, I’m on my 70th day, and I’m up to 5.0ml per day, on my gradual increase.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you! I’ll look in to it and do some reading too. Hoping the flux can help with that too as it’s way more of my problem then the Bryopsis was. Though I’m definitely glad I got on the Bryopsis sooner then later too cus dang it’s hard to kill. But luckily I had a feeling it was Bryopsis from the beginning so never touched and spread that stuff( just h202 and my reef delete. All that did was give it a haircut though.
The lyngbya is definitely a spreader! any good ways to treat that specific algae? Just watch my nutrients and syphon it out as much as I can?
Sorry for taking more of your time!! Appreciate it
As mentioned, treat the same way you would for GHA and even cyano pulling what you can and finishing with a firm toothbrush again in container of tank water or if in tank netting the loose matter as you are getting it off the rock. In addition to the snails mentioned for GHA adding some Chiton snails, nerite snails and cerith snails will maintain control.
It was mentioned by another that tangs will eat this- I have 21 tangs and not one will touch this stuff- Its filaments and not an algae. Bryopsis is even firmer, and they cannot tear or digest it

OP
OP
K

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, treat the same way you would for GHA and even cyano pulling what you can and finishing with a firm toothbrush again in container of tank water or if in tank netting the loose matter as you are getting it off the rock. In addition to the snails mentioned for GHA adding some Chiton snails, nerite snails and cerith snails will maintain control.
It was mentioned by another that tangs will eat this- I have 21 tangs and not one will touch this stuff- Its filaments and not an algae. Bryopsis is even firmer, and they cannot tear or digest it
Thank you!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back