Bryospsis is my nemesis

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. The OK only long lasting issue in my 125 has been an on going battle with Bryospsis. I pull and siphon out as much as possible with every water change to "mow" it down.

I use NO3PO-X and I am using AquaFX PhosBlaster to try to keep my nutrients low. I also rinse all of my food. I am feeding a homemade frozen food.

I know that all algae grows off of NO3 and PO4 hence the NO3PO-X and PhosBlaster.

My NO3 is currently up at 10 because I was recommended to stop dosing NO3PO-X for a couple weeks when starting PhosBlaster (it is in the Red Sea manual that it might not be as efficient if running other nutrient management systems like GFO). Previously my nitrates were down around 2.

My PO4 is currently at .004 but normally is at .002

I have heard of people raising the Mg in their tank to 1600 to "melt" the bryospsis but I have seen a debate over some brands of Mg supplements being more effective than others.

What have you all used to be successful in ridding yourself of this nuisance algae?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1800 using Tech m. you're safe to raise it 100ppm/ day. and yes there are varying reports if this works on all species of bryopsis, and if it works at all anymore due to a rumored change in the tech m formula.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1800 using Tech m. you're safe to raise it 100ppm/ day. and yes there are varying reports if this works on all species of bryopsis, and if it works at all anymore due to a rumored change in the tech m formula.
Interesting, I have had multiple people tell me 1500-1600, this is the first for 1800.

I just ordered a half gallon of Kent Tech M off Amazon so here goes. That is the brand I have read most people were having success with.

I use Red Sea Coral Pro so my Mg usually sits around 1450-1500 so hopefully bringing it up won't take too long.

How long is it supposed to be held at 1800?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can vary. I've treated it after a couple weeks, some people have reported several weeks. then again, some people say it doesn't work in their tanks. the target is 1800 and some have gone as high as 2100.

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech m was the only way I was able to get rid of my bryopsis and I tried everything for months and months. Keep your mag at 1800 using tech m for at the very least 2 weeks

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can vary. I've treated it after a couple weeks, some people have reported several weeks. then again, some people say it doesn't work in their tanks. the target is 1800 and some have gone as high as 2100.

For about a week while dosing my mag was 2300+ lol

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I've never done that.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, no dead inverts?

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech M did it for me. But I had to manually remove most of it.
I do my WC every Saturday so I pull and siphon a lot of it out to keep it tamed down.

Hopefully the Tech M will do the job and I can move on.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should turn white as it starts to die. once that happens, keep the mag steady for as long as possible. as with all algae the roots can be imbedded deep in the rock and you want to make sure you kill every trace of the stuff.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should turn white as it starts to die. once that happens, keep the mag steady for as long as possible. as with all algae the roots can be imbedded deep in the rock and you want to make sure you kill every trace of the stuff.
So it sounds to me like a good time frame should be roughly two weeks after last sign of the algae (or until I run out of Tech M).

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks was my goal when fighting it.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but small water changes.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back