Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Full tank time lapse from 9-1-16.

Bryopsis patches can be seen on the left. Still no noticeable changes.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8pm Mg @ 1880

Will not dose tonight.

As noticed and compared in the videos I have not seen any changes in the density or healthiness of the always horrible bryopsis.

@stevo01 do you notice anything different?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8pm Mg @ 1880

Will not dose tonight.

As noticed and compared in the videos I have not seen any changes in the density or healthiness of the always horrible bryopsis.

@stevo01 do you notice anything different?

I do think it's dying off. Can't be 100% sure just yet.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had bryospsis in my biocube I took out whatever had bryospsis on it and poured hydrogen peroxide on it let it soak for couple minutes then dipped it in clean saltwater and put it back in the tank next day it was all dead just don't pour it on your corals

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had bryospsis in my biocube I took out whatever had bryospsis on it and poured hydrogen peroxide on it let it soak for couple minutes then dipped it in clean saltwater and put it back in the tank next day it was all dead just don't pour it on your corals
I am highly considering doing that for all of the rocks I can get out of my tank, but I have one bfr in the right side of my tank that has a few spots and I am pretty sure I can't get it out.

My plan is to try to be patient and try the Mg method first and then do the H2O2 spot treatment if it is unsuccessful.

Last edited:

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My euphyllia are showing signs of stress so they got moved out to the QT. Have you had any signs of stress before with the high Mg dosing?

I have a torch that was splitting before I started dosing, and is still. I noticed last night it had pulled in pretty tight. I don't think this is in connection to dosing Mg.

I believe I've got two peppermint shrimp that have gone rouge. They are def peps not camel. They made short work of the aptasia. I was very pleased to see all of them gone by the second week. I would have got one (1/2 the trouble now), but I heard it's better to keep them in pairs.

I dropped a brand new gold Aussie torch into the tank a week ago. The moment I put it in this new torch was a target. The larger of the two peppermint shrimp jumped on top of the torch and was tearing it apart. I chased the shrimp off and put the gold torch in the Pico tank. But before I was able to do so it had snipped off several tentacles. I think I see solid evidence of occasional attacks being made on my purple tipped torch. It almost looks like the shrimp is trying to disarm the torch by snipping the tentacles. This is pretty crazy stuff to watch.

This has been going on for awhile, and until last week never knew what was happening. The shrimp def need to go. Not reef safe IMO. They make me pretty nervous every night when they come out now. Pretty sure they are attacking a green implosion colony. I don't want to get off topic here, but you can be pretty sure if you have these shrimp it's them, not Mg dosing.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided today to pull some (or really a lot) of the bryopsis out of my tank today as I just couldn't stand looking at it any more.

Here is how much I pulled out:
0a378b8032f762c337cc1a10dfccd552.jpg

6b4029c1085568bb9efe8ae13a9facbe.jpg

I have decided to enact my wrath on this bryopsis and added 10ml of H2O2 to see the results in the morning.

In other news, I dosed the Mg up to 2000ppm as per the recommendation from @stevo01.

Upon examination of the individual bryopsis segments they appear to be losing most of their "feathers".

As a whole across the tank I have not seen much reduction in the overall size of the patches/clumps yet.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized that I haven't updated in a couple days.

I have raised and maintained my Mg at 2000ppm as recommended by @stevo01

Observations as of this morning:
The "feathers" seem to be going away and the very ends of the bryopsis seem to be starting to turn white. I have not noticed any reduction in the size of the patches yet.

I will take some photos when I get home this evening and charge the GoPro for another time lapse.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized that I haven't updated in a couple days.

I have raised and maintained my Mg at 2000ppm as recommended by @stevo01

Observations as of this morning:
The "feathers" seem to be going away and the very ends of the bryopsis seem to be starting to turn white. I have not noticed any reduction in the size of the patches yet.

I will take some photos when I get home this evening and charge the GoPro for another time lapse.

Very good sir. I'm going another 2 weeks with just keeping Mg at 2000ppm, if I'm unhappy with progress after that I will use more force. I'm iether going to start dosing H2O2 as well, and/or I have on order at my LFS 2 lettuce nudi's.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good sir. I'm going another 2 weeks with just keeping Mg at 2000ppm, if I'm unhappy with progress after that I will use more force. I'm iether going to start dosing H2O2 as well, and/or I have on order at my LFS 2 lettuce nudi's.
I have considered the H2O2 treatment if the Mg doesn't work or isn't enough to finish the job.

I did not notice any difference in the bryopsis after leaving it in my H2O2 solution over night.

I have also read reports of H2O2 treatment wiping out zoa colonies which makes me hesitant to dose it as I have some I collected myself (followed all local laws and limits) from the Keys.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dude @twilliard @brandon429 on H2O2. I think we can both Mg and H2O2 dose at the suggested plan simutanousely, and safely. I have some updating to do in my Bry thread. Some interesting stuff to report on.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the H2O2 works better if aerated well, so maybe in a cup the process is slower?

Squid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your bryopsis losing feathers and turning white is a great sign that the tech m is starting to do what it does. Just be patient and it'll keep turning white and dying off. Keep up with the manual removal while still dosing and it should be gone in a couple more weeks

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Still maintaining Mg at 2000pm

Hand picked Bryopsis today, still seems to be losing feathers, don't see any more turning white.

Considering dosing H2O2...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back