Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Mg still sustaining at 2000ppm

Decided to dose H2O2 alongside the Kent M at 1ml per gallon, I plan on dosing at this level for 7 days (today being day 2).

I have also decided to only run blues this week.

Here is a photo of my larger spots today (remember that I hand pulled a LOT yesterday)

5ed3e28ffa483abc1262e29ae11d9aa9.jpg

4e9b67035e2701989238f293a994eb54.jpg

As you can see, one day post H2O2 the bryopsis has browned significantly.

So far it is looking like a 1-2 punch with the Mg having weakened the bryopsis and now the H2O2 coming in to finish the job.

Will post nightly pics of progress.

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed tech M at 1600 and then took the rock out and poured H2O2 on it for 5 min... hasn't come back after 2 wks.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed tech M at 1600 and then took the rock out and poured H2O2 on it for 5 min... hasn't come back after 2 wks.
I did that on one of my rocks that didn't have anything I cared about on it. Unfortunately my problem rock has some really cool sponges and tunicates on it so I can't pour the H2O2 on it...

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that on a rock that had nothing of value/importance on it, but my problem rocks right now have cool sponges and tunicates on them that I don't want to lose...if needed I may spot treat.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did similar except not mag. Took off
Most by hand and only soaked portion of rock is H2O2 for 5 minutes and hours later it turned white and by morning it was gone.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tested Mg and still holding a little over 2000ppm

I have just done the third H2O2 dose

Bryopsis seems to be browning and dying much quicker with the combination of high Mg and H2O2
1c8d1a1ff366accf6beb82c04c216f88.jpg

1275c8f920b680f950fd805176f395da.jpg

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know I haven't updated in a little but, last weekend I removed some of my bad rocks to scrub. I took a toothbrush, a cup of H2O2 and scrubbed the rock dipping the toothbrush in the H2O2 to have more control of its application as there are zoas, sponges, and tunicates on the rocks I didn't want to accidentally hit with the H2O2.

The rocks themselves now look a lot better. The spots I have in other parts of my tank but are still turning brown from the treatment. I stopped dosing H2O2 in the tank after one week as I did not notice differences to justify dosing both that and the Mg.

Right now my Mg is sitting around 2200ppm.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Bryopsis is still my utter most enemy...if only I had better quarantined all my frags...

My tank is in a weird state at the moment, most of the bryopsis is now a pale brown color, some of it still has feathers but most seems to be sticks.

My Mg is ridiculously high right now as I had removed or lost my valuable corals already. I know my Mg is well over 2000ppm, probably up to 2400-2500ppm. I have kept slowly cranking it up.

This has been my most frustrating thing to deal with in my time in the hobby. I am really close to starting my tank over at this point.

Ryan Hunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same situation. I was about to give up and tear the tank at artbut decided to try kalk paste. The rocks I can i pull out and cover in kalk paste, let sit for a while then rinse off. The rocks I can't I just do an in tank treatment with the flow off. Finally I am winning the battle.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
022266922f3c38bbd7edf8408da265ed.jpg

So desperate times call for desperate measures right?

Couldn't stand looking at the Bryopsis any more. So...all of my rock is sitting in a freshwater bath with a little vinegar added to just kill it and start over. Did I say a little vinegar? More like a gallon...in a storage tote that holds approximately 40 gallons of water.

Going to carefully monitor my tank the next week; just to make sure nothing spikes too drastically.

The plan is to do a series of fresh water dips this week with the occasional addition of either H2O2 or vinegar to ensure this evil nuisance meets it's final day. Mwahaha

I will also black out my tank for two sets of 3 days with a day of partial light in between to help eliminate any remaining pieces of the bryopsis and any other nuisance algae still in my tank.

The pieces will slowly be introduced back to the tank over the period of a couple weeks to help make sure I don't hit the tank too hard with the likely mini-cycles that will ensue.

My conclusion is that after six (6) weeks that Kent's Tech-M is no longer effective as a method for killing bryopsis. I raised my levels from 1500 to 2480 over the course of a week and have held it there pretty solidly since. There were signs of stress for the bryopsis as I did observe melting feathers but I continually got new growth. Even manual removal barely made an impact to keep it away.

I did find spot treatment of H2O2 to be effective but on the scale mine reached it was no longer practical.

Biggest lesson I learned is to QUARANTINE YOUR NEW messing CORALS....

Thanks for those that were following along and giving me advice and support along the way.

@stevo01 I hope you find the Continuum method to be successful. I will still be following along so I can see if it works in case I have this issue in the future.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
022266922f3c38bbd7edf8408da265ed.jpg

So desperate times call for desperate measures right?

Couldn't stand looking at the Bryopsis any more. So...all of my rock is sitting in a freshwater bath with a little vinegar added to just kill it and start over. Did I say a little vinegar? More like a gallon...in a storage tote that holds approximately 40 gallons of water.

Going to carefully monitor my tank the next week; just to make sure nothing spikes too drastically.

The plan is to do a series of fresh water dips this week with the occasional addition of either H2O2 or vinegar to ensure this evil nuisance meets it's final day. Mwahaha

I will also black out my tank for two sets of 3 days with a day of partial light in between to help eliminate any remaining pieces of the bryopsis and any other nuisance algae still in my tank.

The pieces will slowly be introduced back to the tank over the period of a couple weeks to help make sure I don't hit the tank too hard with the likely mini-cycles that will ensue.

My conclusion is that after six (6) weeks that Kent's Tech-M is no longer effective as a method for killing bryopsis. I raised my levels from 1500 to 2480 over the course of a week and have held it there pretty solidly since. There were signs of stress for the bryopsis as I did observe melting feathers but I continually got new growth. Even manual removal barely made an impact to keep it away.

I did find spot treatment of H2O2 to be effective but on the scale mine reached it was no longer practical.

Biggest lesson I learned is to QUARANTINE YOUR NEW messing CORALS....

Thanks for those that were following along and giving me advice and support along the way.

@stevo01 I hope you find the Continuum method to be successful. I will still be following along so I can see if it works in case I have this issue in the future.

Sorry you had to do a full tear down. @JimWelsh will be experimenting with Bryopsis. He has LiCl he will be able use without dosing Mg. If LiCl shows promise but doesnt win entirely, maybe it will take a combination of ingredients. I figure i will give the Continuum a try while we wait. Continuum has a list of ingredients not mentioned in kents. Many elements, So we will see.

OP
OP
Js.Aqua.Project

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you had to do a full tear down. @JimWelsh will be experimenting with Bryopsis. He has LiCl he will be able use without dosing Mg. If LiCl shows promise but doesnt win entirely, maybe it will take a combination of ingredients. I figure i will give the Continuum a try while we wait. Continuum has a list of ingredients not mentioned in kents. Many elements, So we will see.
I have been following that conversation but I am just not 100% comfortable mixing and dosing LiCl on my own.

I almost offered him some of my bryopsis but you beet me to it, and at the time mine was pretty brown and I was hoping it was on its way out.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back