BTA Bleaching

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'm running into some issues with a BTA that I have had for about two weeks. The first pic is the day I got it, then the second pic is a week later.

When I first got the anemone, it was bright green with purple tips, and had a bubble appearance. The tentacles are now light green and a bit stringy. I'll try getting a pic tomorrow off what it looks like now. It's worse than the second pic.

I had been acclimating my light, but once it started turning lighter, I freaked out and set it back up to normal. Wondering if that did anything.

I have fed it a small piece of shrimp every few days. From what I can tell, it is eating and it has pooped it out.

My tank parameters are:

36 gallon
Radion xr 15 pro gen 5, set on coral ab+, running 9 hours a day with half hour ramp up/down and an hour of moon light
Salinity: 1.025
PH- 8.0-8.2, depending on the time of day
Alk- 8.4
Ca- 450
Mag- 1280
Po4- .01
Nitrate- 2
Temp- 79F

If something is wrong with the feeding or lighting, would it be normal for an anemone to deteriorate so quickly?

What can I do to nurse it back to health? Feed it more often? Cut back on lights? I don't think any of my numbers look bad- and they've been pretty consistent, but let me know otherwise.

20200922_184549.jpg

20200929_150600.jpg

gh0st

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have an algae bloom. How old is the tank it looks new.

gh0st

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything? I would stop feeding as of now. Maybe it got a bacterial infection from the food you fed. How big of a piece and what did you feed?

OP
OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything? I would stop feeding as of now. Maybe it got a bacterial infection from the food you fed. How big of a piece and what did you feed?
The first time I fed it I defrosted a piece of frozen raw shrimp. Maybe that was the issue? I've been trying to use fresh raw shrimp now. (Assuming that is better). It was about a dime size every three days.

I haven't been dosing with the exception of AB+ food every other day.

Last edited:

gh0st

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let him settle in more. No more feeding for now. How many times have you seen him deflate and reinflate? If you are seeing it often then maybe bacteria infection. Treat him in a HT with cipro. Ready the sticky by Orion. Good luck.

OP
OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'm pretty sure it's actually from my light being too bright. I noticed the last two days he'd only stay open at night and in the morning. Once it hit afternoon, he would close up.

I reset my acclimation on the light, and he's been open all afternoon. I'll give him a week or so off of feeding as well. Hope this does the trick!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back