BTA Budding or sick?

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I'm posting in the right place, i just recently figured out how to use sub-forums properly. I've been battling phosphates recently but ever since I got a handle on my parameters and started dosing essential elements a few times weekly and purple up at least 3 times a week this started happening. This tank was purchased established( im assuming that only really matters in respects to live stock) and has been in my possession for 8 months. Any and all input appreciated!
20170213_143736.jpeg

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bta's don't bud to reproduce. They split themselves. Not sure what that is honestly.

OP
OP
Madelion33

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bta's don't bud to reproduce. They split themselves. Not sure what that is honestly.
There are multiple anemone in the tank and I found a baby about 3 months ago (still alive and well) while all 3 anemone were left whole. Not sure which of the 3 shot off the first baby but i also never witnessed the process. I read that budding is another form of asexual reproduction- if btas' don't bud then I guess must have both male and female anemones?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like mesenterial filaments, internal structures of anemones. I would love to see some follow up in a couple days. Nothing is written in stone with anemones. Documentation of reproduction indicates sexual reproduction, cloning and pedal laceration. Changes in water chemistry can induce cloning.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/6/inverts

OP
OP
Madelion33

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like mesenterial filaments, internal structures of anemones. I would love to see some follow up in a couple days. Nothing is written in stone with anemones. Documentation of reproduction indicates sexual reproduction, cloning and pedal laceration. Changes in water chemistry can induce cloning.

Way cool! I will keep you posted! I'm working with hyper oxygenated water and we're testing our luck with saltwater applications, really exciting results so far! I'm both excited and relieved that there are so many unknowns with these babies. When the anemone was excreting waste night before last the buds turned into tendrills and retracted back into in buds by morning. Really neat critters.
20170213_181506.jpeg

OP
OP
Madelion33

Madelion33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that article had me second guessing myself on the 'bubble' aspect of my anemone but some how managed to clarify with all the unknown factors.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back