bta has abnormal tentacles. could it be something in the water?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my bta has these very weird looking tentacles. they are deformed with large balls and 2-4 extra tentacle growing from the main tentacle. its very weird but cool to look at. ive had this anemone since it was dime sized and has grown to a small-medium size in my evo under ai prime hd with stable water parameters and alttle high water movement i use 2 eflux 660 current usa pumps on stream mode for my sps. everything is growing well. nothing really has changed in the past 2 months. so idk what the issue is. could this be a toxin issue?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my bta has these very weird looking tentacles. they are deformed with large balls and 2-4 extra tentacle growing from the main tentacle. its very weird but cool to look at. ive had this anemone since it was dime sized and has grown to a small-medium size in my evo under ai prime hd with stable water parameters and alttle high water movement i use 2 eflux 660 current usa pumps on stream mode for my sps. everything is growing well. nothing really has changed in the past 2 months. so idk what the issue is. could this be a toxin issue?

This is pretty common from some I have seen. My own has some like this as well (you can see them along the bottom in the picture). Because of the pink tips on mine the abnormal tentacle growths are very obvious. There are some double and even triple tips.
6A08B03D-68C4-450B-A2BD-98227906675D.jpeg

OP
OP
Robert McCreary

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty common from some I have seen. My own has some like this as well (you can see them along the bottom in the picture). Because of the pink tips on mine the abnormal tentacle growths are very obvious. There are some double and even triple tips.
6A08B03D-68C4-450B-A2BD-98227906675D.jpeg
my gut is telling me its caused by flow. yours is indeed much more healthy looking. mine just looks like some guys arm flexing with tumors and very long fingers lol
edit
im naming my anemone popeye

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tentacles come in all shapes and sizes. no real rhyme or reason. nothing to be worried about.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've had splits from same colony totally look different and go to different spots in tank, more/less light and flow.
BTA's just are one that's much harder to read or predict out of the host nems I've had over the years

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back