Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

So I have a 55 gal tank
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
pH has been around 8.1 using marine buffer to bump it up to 8.3
Alkalinity I was told was a tad low as well earlier this week but I don’t have an at home test - the buffer is also supposed to be helping this
Tank is fully cycled, I have had it set up for 2+ years

about 3 months ago I got my first BTA, the 4th picture attached is right after I got it. The 2nd picture attached is recently. As you will notice it is a lot more closed up, I haven't seen the nem open fully for maybe a week+ however it is still swelling and deflating it’s tentacles with water and will accept food (mysis). The local shop said this was likely due to the pH being a tad low hence why I am using the buffer, but I still have not seen improvement. I recently got a 2nd purple foot BTA, 1st picture attached, that is significantly larger hoping that my 3 ocellaris clowns (2 black 1 orange) will host in it. This nem has not closed once since I got it. My other concern is that both nems seem to favor places out of the direct light, I have a Current USA Orbit Marine LED Light with its light outputs set to
Red 50%
Green 50%
Blue 75%
White 65%
For the majority of the day, then the levels are lower in the morning/evening and off at night

im trying to make sure I keep these nems happy and healthy! Please help!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 1DA4952F-AF88-4FAD-A6C3-5341EC07F677.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your PO4 reading? Also corals like some no3 so I would bump that up. Would also stop using the marine buffer for ph it can mess things up, your ph is more than great at 8.1 that’s where I would start in my opinion.

OP
OP
C

clo317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took a water sample to the local shop since I don’t have a phosphate test at home and it looks like that is the main issue as far as water parameters. I’ll get this fixed and update on the nems health. Thanks!

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has looked like the 2nd picture for a week then it needs treatment. Please see the sticky at the top of this thread.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What would be your suggestion on lighting? and how can I gauge a 'correct amount'? I just dont want to over do the lights and bleach them

Bleaching is caused by insufficient lighting. It's the zooxanthellae dying in the tentacles that gives them the clear look. You need high lighting and good quality lights to keep anemones alive and healthy.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure on that particular light being sufficient enough for reef creatures....but by looking at the tank set up it doesnt appear to be reef sufficient.
Do u have a sump with your equipment or is the hob filter it.
Those plastic decorations are generally not reef safe and emit toxic chemicals as well.
Might be best to return them to the lfs....sorry.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the lighting not being sufficient. Are you willing to buy a new light? What is your price range and tank dimensions? Those nems are definately bleaching...

OP
OP
C

clo317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure on that particular light being sufficient enough for reef creatures....but by looking at the tank set up it doesnt appear to be reef sufficient.
Do u have a sump with your equipment or is the hob filter it.
Those plastic decorations are generally not reef safe and emit toxic chemicals as well.
Might be best to return them to the lfs....sorry.

I don’t have any corals, just the 2 anemones. I have a hob filter and have added a phosphate filter bag to it. The lights were about half their strength so I have increased them

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those current lights are not enough you will need a better light for coral and anemones.

If you dont want to spend a ton on light hydro planet t5ho on amazon will do the trick. You will have to order new bulbs. Bulk reef supply will have those. A 48in fixture he setup will cost about 200 including bulbs

OP
OP
C

clo317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the lighting not being sufficient. Are you willing to buy a new light? What is your price range and tank dimensions? Those nems are definately bleaching...

here’s an updated pic with the lights on full blast. This light was specifically recommended to me by the store I bought the nems from

image.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s an updated pic with the lights on full blast. This light was specifically recommended to me by the store I bought the nems from

image.jpg
You'll need better lights. Loads of my friends started out with these lights. You really will need the t5ho or better led

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Your lfs just wanted to make a sale. And they did... Should we take that as not willing to upgrade? You should probably rehome the nems....

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do decide to change things up then let as know, we're happy to help you choose equipment (and I won't be profiting from your upgrade) ;)

OP
OP
C

clo317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lfs just wanted to make a sale. And they did... Should we take that as not willing to upgrade? You should probably rehome the nems....
I didn’t get the lights from them, they said they used to use them in their tanks and that’s why they made the suggestion. I’m definitely open to upgrade suggestions but I guess I’m confused why these LEDs aren’t considered powerful enough

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really want something with at least 3w led chips in it. This is a decent ballpark chart
Screenshot_20201004-184849.png
Screenshot_20201004-184910.png

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back