BTA ID Please!

AcanSamDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these red BTAs with turquoise centers at my LFS a few months ago. It’s already split twice and obviously quite happy. I’m guessing if it’s splitting this easily for me it does this for everyone and likely wouldn’t be easy to sell for any decent amount of cash, but at some point I’m going to have to start off loading these things.

Can someone help me with the name this nem goes by in the trade?

IMG_4158.jpeg

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a classic RBTA (Entacmaea quadricolor). I’ve seen them sold with grading like “ultra”. They can split easily and quickly especially when first introduced or if stressed. Where they are readily available, like here in SD, they go from $30-50 to locals and maybe a little more in credit from LFS.

OP
OP
AcanSamDC

AcanSamDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add some other variations like Colorados or Black Widows, but I keep reading not to mix types. Any thoughts on that?

OP
OP
AcanSamDC

AcanSamDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splitting does not necessarily equal happiness...
What signs might I look for to gauge happiness? I don’t have any rockwork for them so they spend their time up by the overflow box and return line. They puff up every day pretty reliably and excitedly accept frozen shrimp three times a week so I assume they are happy, but maybe not?

I should add that this ten gallon nano is plumbed into my display sump so parameters are pretty constant:

8.1 Ph (less than .1 daily swing)
10.5dKh (less than 1.0 daily swing)
I don’t think they care too much about calcium and mag but they are 450 and 1400
10.0 nitrates and .08 phosphates, tested weekly

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add some other variations like Colorados or Black Widows, but I keep reading not to mix types. Any thoughts on that?
This is a contested topic. Some say don’t mix others say no problem- both sides have anecdotal evidence supporting their claim. I have had a “designer” nem bullied into a rock from a “wild” rbta and it shriveled and died. Nems can wage chemical warfare against each other- that said, I am keeping a Chicago sunburst with an inferno and gbtas and rbtas without issue at the moment- where I land on the topic is that it is not a problem until it is.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a contested topic. Some say don’t mix others say no problem- both sides have anecdotal evidence supporting their claim. I have had a “designer” nem bullied into a rock from a “wild” rbta and it shriveled and died. Nems can wage chemical warfare against each other- that said, I am keeping a Chicago sunburst with an inferno and gbtas and rbtas without issue at the moment- where I land on the topic is that it is not a problem until it is.
A lot of time it happens so slowly that most people don't notice until one of the nems deflates and then quickly goes down hill. I always suggest taking photos and then periodically looking back at them to see which nems are doing well and which ones aren't.

OP
OP
AcanSamDC

AcanSamDC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not??
The tank concept was to be for all flower anemones. Just rubble full of them. Still wish I could. But after I got my first four apparently the carribean wasters got so hot they bleached out and they went from $30 a pop at my LFS to completely OOS and $100 online. So I got a RBTA and now here I am. I do kind of like the plain look of this little tank right next to my large reef display, but I guess if rockwork would benefit the nems I’m up for it. Any recs on a species reef rock that would look good in this tank and benefit them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back