BTA looking dull and shrunk

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed shrimp on Friday but after a day it went hiding below a rock and looks shrinked. I moved some rocks so that it gets some light but then it stopped moving. My percula is no more hosting on it. What could be the reason? Bought BTA last week only.
IMG_20181014_211629.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank ?
What lighting?
You shouldn’t move It since they move on there own until there comfortable

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 6 months old. I haven't tried moving it just that it went below a rock hiding and half shrunk. I just moved other rock so that it gets some lighting. I am using blue LED which it was responding well initially but now I've turned it to all white

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the BTA and coral? look very bleached I would say there is possibly something off with lighting and/or water chemistry. 6 months is a bit early for an anemone but thats always controversial for "when is the right time for an anemone"

What are your water parameters? filtration?

In your post history I see you dosed copper at one point to try to save a damsel, was that copper straight into the display tank that this anemone is now in? Has any other medication been added to this tank?

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the BTA and coral? look very bleached I would say there is possibly something off with lighting and/or water chemistry. 6 months is a bit early for an anemone but thats always controversial for "when is the right time for an anemone"

What are your water parameters? filtration?

In your post history I see you dosed copper at one point to try to save a damsel, was that copper straight into the display tank that this anemone is now in? Has any other medication been added to this tank?
The copper treatment was done directly in DT a month back but I did not had anemone then. It was bought very recently along with Sabea clownfish and an emperor angel juv. I will check the parameters and post it.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it show any types of wattage output

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that good enough or should I go for something higher? The anemone has further moved beneath the rock now. Also I have a doubt that wimple or emperor angel is actually picking on it.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper could be leaching form the rocks and your tank is way to small for a emperor angle . The wattage is enough but your not giving enough info like parameters

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
My concern is that you treated your DT with copper and then added the anemone. Even if you did a 100% water change after treatment the copper would still have seeped into the rock and sand causing it to leach. Copper will cause you to have issues not only with anemones but also any other coral or invert you add to the tank. Also, 36watts is quite under powered as far as lighting for our tanks go. I would look into the 165W Chinese Black Box LED's if you're on a budget. If not there are several other higher end lighting options out there.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that you treated your DT with copper and then added the anemone. Even if you did a 100% water change after treatment the copper would still have seeped into the rock and sand causing it to leach. Copper will cause you to have issues not only with anemones but also any other coral or invert you add to the tank. Also, 36watts is quite under powered as far as lighting for our tanks go. I would look into the 165W Chinese Black Box LED's if you're on a budget. If not there are several other higher end lighting options out there.
You are right now my hammer is all shrunk and I haven't seen the tentacles out for past 3 days. But I think it is still alive. I have the carbon in the sump and I thought it would take out the copper, never thought the deposits would be on the rocks. My BTA is slowly getting better but my concern now is hammer. Here's the picture
IMG_20181020_160941.jpeg

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Yes the copper will slowly deteriorate all your coral until it melts away. Because the copper was added to your display if I were you the best bet would be to setup another tank with new rock and transfer any coral & inverts to it. Otherwise they will most likely not survive much longer.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the copper will slowly deteriorate all your coral until it melts away. Because the copper was added to your display if I were you the best bet would be to setup another tank with new rock and transfer any coral & inverts to it. Otherwise they will most likely not survive much longer.
I am not sure if I can quickly setup a new tank. I will check with LFS if they can take back the corals. Should I give up my BTA too?

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I am not sure if I can quickly setup a new tank. I will check with LFS if they can take back the corals. Should I give up my BTA too?

You can try. I’m not sure the lfs will take it back if it’s in bad shape though. If it were to die in their system it could cause some serious issues for the tanks its plumbed in to.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try. I’m not sure the lfs will take it back if it’s in bad shape though. If it were to die in their system it could cause some serious issues for the tanks its plumbed in to.
Okay, got it. Actually when I used copper treatment I had different set of rocks but then I replaced it with LR on completion of 6 weeks cooking process. But the filter media and Sandbed are the same it could have some copper deposits but does it not eventually vanish on using carbon filter? If the copper is still there in water my Sabea clownfish would not have got affected with swollen eye right?

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
It would settle in sand bed. Fish still could have gotten infection depending on the levels of copper in tank.

OP
OP
Raj2306

Raj2306

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would settle in sand bed. Fish still could have gotten infection depending on the levels of copper in tank.
I am worried if I have to start all over again. Alternatively, If I set up a small 10g QT tank with basic setup, move all my fishes to QT and wait over for 6 to 8 weeks to starve the bacteria / parasites to death and then shift my fishes back. Will that work? I saw in one of the youtube videos. But how do we know that the tank if free from any bacteria after the said period?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back