BTA lost to a Yuma... :@

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I introduced a baby BTA into my tank yesterday... and it decided to walk clear across to the other side, find a spot in a frag chunk facing, and somewhat under a yuma...

I decided to leave it last night figuring it would sort itself out. Woke up to this... :/

Trying to decide if I should cut it in half to separate the fuzz from the good side or roll the dice and let nature take its course in hopes of the BTA sorting itself out.... the mouth is fuzzed over as well.

If it weren't so small and so new, it'd be surgery time... but given the scenario, I'm undecided. Thoughts?

20180308_113731.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d begin surgery.

In the past , I’ve actually had luck getting nems off the Rock by holding it out of the water over the tank. Seems to encourage it to move. I did have to do it a couple times.

:)oops: and it looks like I may be doing it this evening too)

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home and the nem looked extremely necroptic so had to do emergency surgery...

I originally just bisected the nem to save as much good tissue as possible while going through the mouth...but then decided to cut the other side with the greatest amount of dead tissue in half again since once quarter of that had more healthy tissue. Figured it be a hail mary...

Unfortunately no cipro on hand but I did put the pieces on frag disks in a QT tank...
20180308_174804.jpg
20180308_182650.jpg
20180308_183534.jpg

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they get adequate flow all around and watch them very closely over the next 24hrs, if they make it that long.

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hopeful last night when the somewhat good half started crawling around but woke up to Jello blobs. :(

I had moved the cuts away from active flows since it seem to really beat up the pieces... but still enough flow to keep things healthy.

Bummer.

Silver lining is I got the nem out of the original tank in time to avoid it messing with other teammates (eclectus, high end nems, bounces, etc).

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I've never had an anemone touch my rics before so not sure if they are really that strong or the bta was weak to begin with.

I don't have any rics (floridia or yuma) at the moment. I use to have a pink yuma but sold it about 8 yrs ago. I miss the time when floridias were like $10 a polyp, if that. I'll have to get some soon...

OP
OP
NanoCrazed

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought rics/Yumas packed that much punch myself until yesterday...

It's like the soft spoken kid who turns out to be a black belt when up against a bully... :/

Back