BTA Split Gone Bad

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rwade
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rwade

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2019
Messages
84
Reaction score
47
Location
Mobile
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA split a few days ago and the bigger part is doing well; the smaller one, not so well. It’s been hanging under a ledge since the split and was barely hanging on today. I moved it to the top of the rock to get a better look and hopefully help it with more light. It appears that the split never healed and that section may be rotting. Should I throw it away or give it more time.
A5D09587-8BD3-4019-AB18-890615639E30.jpeg
 
I have had many nem splits, and have not had this issue, I would give the split more time. Does the foot appear injured?
 
It was firmly attached until today, but it never really inflated. It was hanging on by a thread when I moved it and there were little pieces coming off of the rotted? part. Maybe I’ll give til tomorrow to see if it improves otherwise I’m going to deep 6 it.
 
It was firmly attached until today, but it never really inflated. It was hanging on by a thread when I moved it and there were little pieces coming off of the rotted? part. Maybe I’ll give til tomorrow to see if it improves otherwise I’m going to deep 6 it.
I hope the split survives the night.
 
Not a sign of it today. I looked all over and can’t find it anywhere. It was placed on the edge of a large hole in the rock work, so it may have fallen down the hole. Hopefully it shows up.
 
Not a sign of it today. I looked all over and can’t find it anywhere. It was placed on the edge of a large hole in the rock work, so it may have fallen down the hole. Hopefully it shows up.
That's pretty normal for them to disappear for days to recover after splitting
 
I found it, it was in the hole, rotten and coming apart. I retrieved what I could and disposed of it.
Moral of the story: go with your gut; if in doubt, throw it out.
 
I found it, it was in the hole, rotten and coming apart. I retrieved what I could and disposed of it.
Moral of the story: go with your gut; if in doubt, throw it out.

Sad to hear the smaller split didn't make it.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new