Bta

graeve11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is not very crowded with coral but if I got a bta what kind of risk am I looking at in regards of losing coral to it?

923E1512-2CCE-46EB-844E-4884DD7B99EC.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get an anemone it owns the tank. It will go where it wants. If too close to coral you will have to move the coral. If just starting out wait until the tank matures before getting a nem.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can move around and sting your corals. Some corals are just mildly irritated, some get burned pretty bad, and some go to war (though they usually lose against an anemone). Just keep a close eye on it for the first few weeks until it finds a place it likes. If it’s getting close or moving towards a coral, move the coral, the anemone’s foot can be damaged if you try to move it (unless you can move the whole rock), but even then, it’ll likely move again, they move when they’re unhappy or looking for flow and/or light that is more preferable. I currently have a RBTA in a 28 gallon, and while there’s definitely room for it to move around should it decide to, it’s pretty packed with corals and other nems (rock flower and maxi mini), but I’m not really worried about it, I can always move corals elsewhere should they get in the way. They recommend that you get an anemone first and then add corals so that the anemone will find the spot it likes without running into any corals and then hopefully stay there, the only issue is that it’s also recommended that you wait until your tank is mature before getting an anemone (6 months to a year), so you either just have fish until the tank is mature, or get corals and then do your best to manage the anemone’s movement.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of IF's in that answer.

If you get a nem that is prone to walking, and if while walking it decides to sting things, and if it stings enough, and if the coral can't do anything about it, there's a chance it'll kill a coral.

I've got bta's tucked into and around coral. Only one that stings and even it hasn't killed anything. Just ticked off a few mushrooms.
Got one that does laps and never stings anything.

Personally I think the fear of BTA's around other coral is slightly overblown.

How long have you had the tank set up? I see more failure on here to Keep a BTA healthy in a young tank than I do about bta's killing coral, by probably 10x.

OP
OP
graeve11

graeve11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of IF's in that answer.

If you get a nem that is prone to walking, and if while walking it decides to sting things, and if it stings enough, and if the coral can't do anything about it, there's a chance it'll kill a coral.

I've got bta's tucked into and around coral. Only one that stings and even it hasn't killed anything. Just ticked off a few mushrooms.
Got one that does laps and never stings anything.

Personally I think the fear of BTA's around other coral is slightly overblown.

How long have you had the tank set up? I see more failure on here to Keep a BTA healthy in a young tank than I do about bta's killing coral, by probably 10x.
About 6 months the reason I’m asking now is how stable everything has been and the amount of growth I’ve been having recently. My first coral is a hammer that now has four heads and started with two, it split, and about six more are sprouting

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want one get one.
Your probably ok tank wise but here’s the big thought. Get the nem before you crowd the tank with coral. That will let you learn it’s specific migratory patterns. Trust me, some move every other day and some never move at all.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back