Bubble Algae Help

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a situation. A green sinularia was hiding a bit of bubble algae so I want to get rig of it. I've heard about emerald crabs being clumsy and popping them so their spores spread. Let me know what I could to. There are only 2 little bubbles of them so it isn't serious yet but want it out before it progresses.

Thanks

P.S. I have a large rock with plenty of space for one big coral or a few littles. It's a mixed reef 35 gallon so let me know what you think I should go for. Thanks again.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to suck it out . Pry it off with a metal straw attached to a siphon hose and then it will be sucked out

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can, pull the frag or rock out and scrub them bubbles off. Bubble algae killed my tank and put me out of the hobby about 10 years ago, once it gets a good hold of your tank you won't be able to get rid of it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can typically gently pry the bubbles off intact depending on how accessible they are.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually rub them off (toothbrush works great) and remove them. It is also a big advantage if you can treat the spot with hydrogen peroxide otherwise they tend to grow back.

If they keep spreading you need to reduce phosohate.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a battle with bubble algae. I stated wi with the manual removal of the bubble with every water change, I stayed away from Emerald for the fact I had a small captive breed mandrin didn't want to chance the crab look for a quick meal. I found the use of a Phyto, can hep remove the nutrients the bubble was using, Plus I started dosing Vibrant. It took these steps a few months, buy it was finally able to get it out.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pop them off by hand. And never had an issue with spread. My display tank has a FoxFace who actually eats these up.

I found that emerald crabs are just more hassle and super slow. My hands with a good pair of tweezers with the pumps off is all I use in my small tank. Then keep nutrients levels in check.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back