Bubble algae !! Help!!

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is getting infested with bubble algae!! Seen a few on the pumps and I regret not cleaning it immediately! Now it’s taking over my rocks. I tried scrapping it off but it’s more difficult then I thought it would be.

I dose 2x of reflux and did absolutely nothing to the bubble algae!

please help! I was told not to use vibrant as people keep suggesting.

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with you my fellow reefer, manual cleaning is gonna be the way to go. It’s a PITA but those things proliferate faster than the crabs will eat them. Avoid popping them and have some sw prepped for water changes, and decrease feedings and lighting period if possible. Took me 4 months of battle these buggers nonstop and haven’t seen them since.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with you my fellow reefer, manual cleaning is gonna be the way to go. It’s a PITA but those things proliferate faster than the crabs will eat them. Avoid popping them and have some sw prepped for water changes, and decrease feedings and lighting period if possible. Took me 4 months of battle these buggers nonstop and haven’t seen them since.
Can I scrub it off while pooping in a separate container?? Picking it off we’ll take forever lol

4nreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past when I had bubble algae infestation, I got a couple of emerald crabs and they knocked it out.
Manual removal and emerald crabs would do the trick.
Once the job is done, I'll advice to keep an eye out on the crabs as they might munch on some corals. Some people have luck with them, I've personally haven't. After they clear my bubble algae, without fail they start to attack the corals. I usually take them off to the fuge area or give them out.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past when I had bubble algae infestation, I got a couple of emerald crabs and they knocked it out.
Manual removal and emerald crabs would do the trick.
Once the job is done, I'll advice to keep an eye out on the crabs as they might munch on some corals. Some people have luck with them, I've personally haven't. After they clear my bubble algae, without fail they start to attack the corals. I usually take them off to the fuge area or give them out.
I had emerald crabs and they went after my corals instead lol

4nreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had emerald crabs and they went after my corals instead lol
Those guys are opportunist... That's the risk with emeralds. With me, I usually lucked out in that, they'll usually go after the bubble algae more than they would the coral until there's no more algae.
If you willing to take the risk it and watch to see the health of the of the coral, they might irritate the coral a bit but eventually (like in my case) would wipe out the bubble algae. The key is to keep an eye on the corals.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less then halfway done smh this rough

Attachments

• D9D9CEDC-3CF7-4F40-B1C5-72F36A2C6C3F.jpeg
    D9D9CEDC-3CF7-4F40-B1C5-72F36A2C6C3F.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 61

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard they perform well but manual removal is still critical. I pull some out everyday here and there. I've even recently watched my scarlet hermits eating it too.
They do perform well. My guy was a brute.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you doing all of this while sitting on a bucket? I am confused...
Yes , pulled off the rock and place is it in a bucket full of salt water and starting picking it off. A lot easier imo a syphon is horrible. First method I tried

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is getting infested with bubble algae!! Seen a few on the pumps and I regret not cleaning it immediately! Now it’s taking over my rocks. I tried scrapping it off but it’s more difficult then I thought it would be.

I dose 2x of reflux and did absolutely nothing to the bubble algae!

please help! I was told not to use vibrant as people keep suggesting.
Skip the reef flux which is an alternative and not solution and has caused issues for many tanks.
Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For goodness sake, there are no spores.

It's a myth, a wives tale, something we tell children to stop them eating candy, whatever.

Over the last 30 tears its been a question and of debate but yet many have seen hundreds in a large system. They dont lay eggs- so what is the answer?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back