Bubble Algae starting to explode...

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one covered in coraline algae, they can't even grow faster than coraline algae, its a weak algae unless conditions are right for it..

Attachments

• 20220526_153853.jpg
    20220526_153853.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 54

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I hear you with the fish. I wasn't going down any road of size, limits, etc. I was just noting that it can be a larger fish in case you are not aware or want one. Some like smaller fish, some larger, etc. Hope you didn't take it that way and sorry if it seemed like that was my direction.
No, I didn't take it wrong (wasn't offended or anything). I was just saying I know those large fish are the goto solution and I with there was something smaller.
The pitho crab has been on my radar, but I don't think I've seen them in an LFS (I know I can order them though).

OP
OP
Onthefly

Onthefly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one covered in coraline algae, they can't even grow faster than coraline algae, its a weak algae unless conditions are right for it..
yeah.....Not sure what in my system is driving it.....it's actually in a dark area (unreachable) and you can see my parameters aren't bad, and very stable. I might ICP just to make sure Fe isn't spiked or something else like that.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.....Not sure what in my system is driving it.....it's actually in a dark area (unreachable) and you can see my parameters aren't bad, and very stable. I might ICP just to make sure Fe isn't spiked or something else like that.
I started with a few and for a long while they didn’t spread that fast and I did manual removal and put a few crabs in then all of a sudden with what I thought was great parameters they took off like wild fire . I would guess if you feed your coral , fish ,and they have light they will grow . That’s when I started my mission and came across the foxface with much success . I had used vibrant in the past and lost half my coral after every one I spoke to was pushing this to make a sale . in my opinion it’s not even on the list of last resort . Not sure although pitho crabs do eat bubble algae how much more they will eat more than the emerald crabs but when you have thousands of bubbles you’d need hundreds of crabs possibly but when I got the foxface he went to work munching constantly and still munches to this day albeit not bubble anymore but any algae or food in the tank . Trust me when I tell you I was almost at the point that I was thinking of stripping that tank and starting over with it . I wish you the best of luck !!!

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my fox face rabbit would eat bubble algae. I've seen him eat one or two small bubbles that were floating in the water after I tried to clean the rocks and a few got loose. He did eat them and not spit them out, but then when a few more free floating bubbles went by he ignored them. What do we have to do, starve the fish to make them eat the algae off the rocks?

All my fish are fat including my yellow tang, FF Rabbit and CBB. But, I feed them a cube of DIY frozen from the fish counter (salmon, crab, shrimp, nori, etc.) eachday. I'm afraid if I stop, the will have forgotten how to be a dang fish and eat the algae. I think they are "kept" babies now and would rather starve. Also, I find that my nutrients (NO3) can really start to get low <1ppm if I don't feed which gives me concern about the coral health and cyano outbreaks.

What's the trick to get a FF to eat bubbles?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my fox face rabbit would eat bubble algae. I've seen him eat one or two small bubbles that were floating in the water after I tried to clean the rocks and a few got loose. He did eat them and not spit them out, but then when a few more free floating bubbles went by he ignored them. What do we have to do, starve the fish to make them eat the algae off the rocks?

All my fish are fat including my yellow tang, FF Rabbit and CBB. But, I feed them a cube of DIY frozen from the fish counter (salmon, crab, shrimp, nori, etc.) eachday. I'm afraid if I stop, the will have forgotten how to be a dang fish and eat the algae. I think they are "kept" babies now and would rather starve. Also, I find that my nutrients (NO3) can really start to get low <1ppm if I don't feed which gives me concern about the coral health and cyano outbreaks.

What's the trick to get a FF to eat bubbles?
In the wild , fish don’t have sailors rowing out to them daily dropping cubes of food to them . Cutting back the feeding a bit won’t make them stop being fish . Fish swim all day long in search of their meals . In the point of fox face fish they troll the reef scape plucking algae and any thing else that suits their fancy . When I introduced my foxface I didn’t feed my tank for 24 hrs and light fed and spot fed the other fish for a couple days . He ate bubble algae almost completely on one of my large rocks in two days . I went back to regular moderate feeding and within the first week half of my bubble algae explosion was gone . No one is telling you to starve your fish , just get them hungry enough to feed on the bubble algae and develop the taste . It sounds like what ever your mixture your feeding tastes really good to him . :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back