Bubble Algae?

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing some confirmation that this is bubble algae; the bubbles are dark, leaving me wondering if it’s something else. I am treating the tank with vibrant, once per week. No changes since starting 4 weeks ago.

Last water test results:
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate 0
Phosphates 0.25 ppm
Calcium 400 ppm
Alkalinity 10 dKH
PH 8.0

weekly water changes, dosing calcium and alkaline.

feeding spectrum pellets and reef roids.

DA837D99-8087-4EA3-BF67-174FACB53199.jpeg 582C5614-8272-47D7-8144-0297B5B5907D.jpeg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have never used vibrant before. I would just try and pull those off (maybe vibrant can kill the spores). did you typo your phosphate numbers? cause thats really high.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is bubble algae.

If you can remove the rock, they are pretty easy to pick off. If doing in the tank, you can sometimes get under them and pull them all off in a big piece or two.

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing 2 time a week a little under recommended dosage and im just about 5 1/2 weeks in and can tell you my BA is turning clear almost 70% gone , I tried emerald crabs and no luck

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably notate you probably want to over feed as vibrant can bring your nutrients to 0 and then cause what alot of people on here experience cyno from bottoming out nutrients

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sharp bamboo skewer to pry them off while using a small syphon hose to suck them out. That way you get all the spores too.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling this plague since the start of my tank. Manual removal, Emerald crabs, and a bicolor foxface fish. Nothing has worked to rid my tank of this algae. Never saw any of the crabs touch the stuff. When trying to handpick them new ones would be back within a week.
The only thing that made a dent was the Foxface, but he also got a taste for soft corals so he had to move.
I am going to use Vibrant now, I have a bottle in the mail and as soon as it is in my hand I will dump in the first dose.
This algae is a pain to get rid of, I even have bubbles in my sump which only consists of mechanical filtration so the bubbles arent even getting any direct lighting, and still they are growing there..

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant did an awesome job of clearing a bad outbreak for me. It does take a little time, eventually it should break down. I haven't seen any bubble algae in a couple of years. You may see a little cyano, but that went away for me too.

OP
OP
Reefing Reefer

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant did an awesome job of clearing a bad outbreak for me. It does take a little time, eventually it should break down. I haven't seen any bubble algae in a couple of years. You may see a little cyano, but that went away for me too.
From what I read on Vibrant it takes a while for it to kick in; I got a little impatient when I started seeing more outbreaks throughout the tank...crossing my fingers that it works.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back