Bubble Algae?

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had these Zoa's for over a month, I dipped them when I got them. Now there is something growing and crowding them, is this bubble algae? If it is can I remove the zoa's and dip them again and how do I remove the algae?

IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1412.jpg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing is to remove the frag or entire rock out of the tank and manually remove them. Rinse in RODI water and put it back in the tank. Popping bubble algae releases spores all over your tank like casting seeds in a flowerbed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't easily remove the frag then just pull the algea off in the tank making sure to not let any get away. Some people will also say be careful not to pop them because of releasing spores although I don't know if it actually matters or not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Emerald crabs although I do not trust at least the males are your best bet for this few.
Rabbitfish also eat these as well as manual removal . For manual removal, avoid the bubble itself and use any narrow, long and sharp object to rip the algae out with. A screwdriver is probably the most commonly used tool but you want to ensure that you have ripped out the entire plant structure. Like a weed, Bubble Algae needs the entire structure to be removed in order to prevent it from growing back.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs although I do not trust at least the males are your best bet for this few.
I agree that emerald crabs can start eating corals, and I have personally seen it happen. I always understood the males were more likely to become a problem. I searched online before posting this and I find plenty of threads on forums saying it's better to get the females but I didn't find anything on a "scientific" site. Are you sure you don't have that backwards?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree that emerald crabs can start eating corals, and I have personally seen it happen. I always understood the males were more likely to become a problem. I searched online before posting this and I find plenty of threads on forums saying it's better to get the females but I didn't find anything on a "scientific" site. Are you sure you don't have that backwards?
My best luck has been females.
I still trust a politician than I do Emerald crabs and peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
kathya0321

kathya0321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. I think the frag can easily be removed so will try that. I know Emerald Crabs will eat it, but just don't trust the little critters with my other coral.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. I think the frag can easily be removed so will try that. I know Emerald Crabs will eat it, but just don't trust the little critters with my other coral.
Emerald crabs can absolutely eat coral I had one start eating some clove polyps in my tank. However, I think that if they constantly have a food source they're not very likely to start eating corals.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a metal finger nail file to pry them off. Start underneath the bubble.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble popping releasing spores is a myth. The spores are not just filling up the bubble like an alien egg, they are released like any other algae. The inside of the bubble itself is irrelevant I mean it doesn't even make sense when at the same time people advocate emerald crabs. They pop the bubbles too!

Bubble algae is no big deal. I would remove it manually out of tank so no pieces stay in your tank. Give it a good rinse, maybe even a peroxide dip as zoas don't mind that. Ideally you just eliminate it if you don't like the look, but it is also not something that will take over a tank once that tank is mature.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had have some and still occasionally see some never on the rock or sand only on the filter tubes or power head when I do see them I suck them out during a water change,emerald crabs suck and why do all the invertebrates that everyone put in their systems eat coral!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 63 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 10 7.9%
Back