Bubble magus A8 skimmer help

vdubreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g lightly stocked tank, I’ve seen fish of hex use the curve 7 skimmer and his skimmate was always so dark on his 125g , i got the dc version of the curve 7 and i can’t seem to get my skimmate to be any darker then like a tea color I’ve fiddled with sump water level air flow and exit water adjustments recommended height is 7-11” I’m in about 10” , i tried 9” and 8” with no change in skimmate production, I’m very lightly stocked with 2 fish and about 6 frags of lps, so i dunno if that has anything to do with it, my nitrates have been pretty steadily high over 30ppm , so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g lightly stocked tank, I’ve seen fish of hex use the curve 7 skimmer and his skimmate was always so dark on his 125g , i got the dc version of the curve 7 and i can’t seem to get my skimmate to be any darker then like a tea color I’ve fiddled with sump water level air flow and exit water adjustments recommended height is 7-11” I’m in about 10” , i tried 9” and 8” with no change in skimmate production, I’m very lightly stocked with 2 fish and about 6 frags of lps, so i dunno if that has anything to do with it, my nitrates have been pretty steadily high over 30ppm , so any input would be greatly appreciated!
It does sound like you just don't have enough DOC's to create dark skimmate. You could, but you would need to be producing very little skimmate in order to achieve that. It may end up just coating the inside of the neck anyway and still keep you from getting much dark skimmate.

OP
OP
vdubreefer

vdubreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ‘ good to know ! I’m working on getting my bubbles as fine as possible but it seems like every time i try i always get huge ones at the top of the bubble head I’m assuming that’s how it’s supposed to be right ?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ‘ good to know ! I’m working on getting my bubbles as fine as possible but it seems like every time i try i always get huge ones at the top of the bubble head I’m assuming that’s how it’s supposed to be right ?
I used to run a Curve 7 and found that I didn't have great control of my skimmate. I tried to find a balance where it wouldn't foam up through the vent holes in the lid and yet also wouldn't fill the cup too quickly. Trying to adjust it anywhere beyond that was hopeless.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back