Bubble magus C9 with bio pellet reactor

  • Thread starter Thread starter M_norrick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

M_norrick

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2015
Messages
111
Reaction score
33
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the planning stage of plumbing up my 180 gallon reef tank. I have a bubble magus c9 and noticed the spare port on the side of the skimmer. Has anyone ran the output of a bio pellet reactor into this port? Or should it be areated via pin wheel on skimmer pump first? Any info is greatly appreciated!
 
Very interesting idea. I've not seen a skimmer with an extra hole like that.

I wish I could help you specifically with the bio-pellets, but I have not ran them. Anyone else? [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]
 
I am not familiar with the skimmer, but if it is a recirculating skimmer it should work. Otherwise the effluent needs to go through the volute and be churned into foam to remove (export) the excess bacteria from the biopellet reactor.
 
I believe the extra hole (red plug in second picture below) is provided so you can reposition the pump based on your specific installation. I used a couple PVC fittings I had laying around to attache the effluent from my reactor into the intake of the skimmer pump, which I believe would be the best location for it.

Skimmer-BPmod_zps8b873995.jpg


IMG_0987_zps585290c7.jpg
 


A bio pellet reactor needs a separate pump to adjust the flow to get all the pellets moving properly.
 
Very nice! Thanks everyone for the information! @Downbeach you don't have a patent on that design do ya?;) that is a fantastic idea you have there for sure!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new