Bubble Magus Curve 5 won't stop overflowing-NEED HELP

jbsmurf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi group, I am at my wit's end and not sure what else to try with this skimmer. I recently set it back up after cleaning the sump. Prior to setup I had treated the tank with chemiclean to deal with a bacterial bloom I was having in the tank. I set the skimmer back up because the instructions on chemiclean specifically state the tank will require additional oxygen etc etc.

I ran the chemi-clean for 48hrs per the instructions did a 20% water change and the skimmer continued to overflow, I have since run a canister filter full of carbon to help clear up anything else remaining in the water and it's still overflowing. Below is the list of items I have tried to resolve this issue and still have had no success so I am coming to this group for additional feedback to see if I have overlooked anything:

1. Made sure skimmer was wide open (lowest water level possible inside body)
2. Raised skimmer so that it was barely sitting in the water
3. Water Change 20%
4. Carbon
5. Insured venturi was clear of any debris
6. waited 5 days in the event the skimmer was (breaking in again)
7. ensured I am running skimmer at the recommended height of 9-10in (currently 9.5in)

I am desperate for advice to get this equipment back running properly and welcome any feedback. Current tank params that may be useful:
Tank Temp 77.6, Skimmer chamber water height 9.5in, Salinity 1.027 (little high, trying to bring down a tad)

TIA

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word... Chemiclean.

I ended up doing about a 30G WC through my skimmer after changing out 20G in my 80G system after chemiclean. I could not get it to calm down until I just let it skim out whatever chemiclean adds.

I also have the same skimmer, and run carbon 24/7 in a reactor.

OP
OP
J

jbsmurf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word... Chemiclean.

I ended up doing about a 30G WC through my skimmer after changing out 20G in my 80G system after chemiclean. I could not get it to calm down until I just let it skim out whatever chemiclean adds.

it overflows so fast id be sitting here for hours, is there literally no other way?

OP
OP
J

jbsmurf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word... Chemiclean.

ok, ive set the skimmer up about 5 into slow down the rate of overflow a bit, hooked up the drain line into a 5g jug and let's see what happens.....I guess I better make some saltwater just in case

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the skimmer off for another week, and try again.
Tried that too. Did about 15G through the skimmer, got bored of emptying a gallon jug, shut skimmer off for a week(actually just let it overflow with the cup off). Actually forgot about it, then had to do about another 15G before it finally calmed down.

Not sure if it's just this skimmer, or the amount of cyano die off. I have used chemiclean before, but not with this skimmer, and I only had to do the normal WC, then let the skimmer overflow for like a gallon or 2 and my previous skimmer calmed down.

Bailseeker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same skimmer on a 90 gallon with the same issue after Chemiclean. I placed the drain line from the skimmer into a 5 gallon bucket and let it skim out all of the Chemiclean. I think I skimmed out about 3 gallons total. It's been running perfectly fine ever since.

OP
OP
J

jbsmurf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
video of steps I have now taken. I have to clean the sump and skimmer walls again because when I was just letting it overflow the entire skimmer chamber became the collection cup and there was some junk! I am already starting to see some slow down in over flow so we will see how this goes

Attachments

• IMG_5757.MOV
    84 MB

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the past whenever I've run into this, i put a tube on the drain of the skimmer cup and let it drain into a bucket and eventually the cause of the overflow runs out. It took two 5 gallon buckets but it stopped. Sometimes adding a filter sock causes this too. very odd

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. It could be the water depth of your sump. In order to fix this on mine i made 4 1.5 inch spaces from PVC and set them in all 4 corners of my skimmer base raising its height.

Also as weird as this sounds set it to max.

Since doing this I have had great results with this skimmer.

Hope this helps you.

OP
OP
J

jbsmurf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem. It could be the water depth of your sump. In order to fix this on mine i made 4 1.5 inch spaces from PVC and set them in all 4 corners of my skimmer base raising its height.

Also as weird as this sounds set it to max.

Since doing this I have had great results with this skimmer.

Hope this helps you.
thanks for the feedback, 9-10" is the recommended height according to the manufacturer and I had previously run this skimmer in that depth before, will be trial and error I guess until the problem is resolved.

As an update, I have no had to adjust the skimmer to its min setting (highest water volume in skimmer body/wettest setting) since taking the above action. I am going to continue to let it skim wet until it won't produce a foam head that causes it to overflow so rapidly. Once that settles ill adjust the skimmer and lower it back down int he water column of the skimmer chamber

nergserg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Curve 5 as well and just panic dosed Melafix in my tank when I saw my clown acting weird (i had just used it successfully in my FW tank). Needless to say that the skimmer went nuts. I ended up raising the skimmer (reduces the foaming) and used the drain hose from the cup and drained into a bucket. Fixed the foaming in two days. All the water being drained is just the organics being disposed. So its like a water change happening for you. So I turned off the ATO and would just add saltwater manually to the tank at the same amount being drained. Learned this from melevsreef.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Curve 5 as well and just panic dosed Melafix in my tank when I saw my clown acting weird (i had just used it successfully in my FW tank). Needless to say that the skimmer went nuts. I ended up raising the skimmer (reduces the foaming) and used the drain hose from the cup and drained into a bucket. Fixed the foaming in two days. All the water being drained is just the organics being disposed. So its like a water change happening for you. So I turned off the ATO and would just add saltwater manually to the tank at the same amount being drained. Learned this from melevsreef.
I said this yesterday and no likes, no replies. Like I'm just making it up lol. Glad it worked for someone else

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still having issues, it may be the same issue I had. When I assembled the skimmer I put the little clear bubble diffuser in wrong. There is a section on it that has no holes in it. Make sure this is directly above the pump output. If there are holes above the pump output, it will overflow non stop and you will never get it to stop. I had it set up like this for a week and couldn't figure out why it was still overflowing and not breaking in. Once I figured that out, it has worked flawlessly since.

yan2pr

I grow GHA better than anything else
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still having issues, it may be the same issue I had. When I assembled the skimmer I put the little clear bubble diffuser in wrong. There is a section on it that has no holes in it. Make sure this is directly above the pump output. If there are holes above the pump output, it will overflow non stop and you will never get it to stop. I had it set up like this for a week and couldn't figure out why it was still overflowing and not breaking in. Once I figured that out, it has worked flawlessly since.
You are a hero my friend, i was having this issue and it was driving me crazy. Tried everything and did not even noticed the holes before you mentioned it. Hopefully it will work like its supposed to. Thanks

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is just super sensitive for some reason, i recently treated my tank with fluconazole and even after 2 water changes and carbon it wont stop overflowing and its been 2 weeks already.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back