Bubble Magus Filter Roll Review + Mod!

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just for the two drains, the BM filter roller would need to be modified to accept two drains which requires drilling out the cover plate on the opposite side of the inlet to accept a bulkhead and elbow. This also requires re-routing at least one of the drains to the other side of the filter. Not as complicated as it sounds but not a basic install. You'll also need 8" from the side of the sump for the medium size unit to fit. Unless those are 7" socks, I don't think there would be enough room in your filter sock area anyway. Coral-vue makes a drop in filter roller but it gets pretty bad reviews.

Ok I understand what to do. So the 3D printed blue thing up top is a bulkhead for a second drain? I have looked at the drop ins and agree not best reviews. Im thinking maybe I can put the roller mat in the first chamber of sump and skip the sock section. All I have is rock and pump for ats in that section with skimmer in next. Thanks for info this product is new to me anyway and seriously thinking of getting one.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my ARF-1 (Medium) BM filter roller so much that I purchased the Large version Black Friday. It's a beast and rated for 2000 gph. It will be going on a future 240 build.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im ready to pull trigger on the medium one but noticed bubble magus doesn’t have roller mat on their website and I can’t find replacement rolls. Have they discontinued this product?

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Listed @ Aquacave but medium replacement rolls out of stock.

Yeah I saw that. Cant find them anywhere though and fact they no longer are on bubble magus had me questioning if they were discontinued. Thanks gonna probably order one anyway.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ready to pull trigger on the medium one but noticed bubble magus doesn’t have roller mat on their website and I can’t find replacement rolls.
I've noticed that. I have one spare left so I wasn't really looking. But yea, now that I look, I can't find them anywhere either. I just ordered one from AliExpress for $22. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it fits and doesn't take too long to get here. Seaside Aquatics is their US distributor. I'm gonna contact them and see whats up.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've noticed that. I have one spare left so I wasn't really looking. But yea, now that I look, I can't find them anywhere either. I just ordered one from AliExpress for $22. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it fits and doesn't take too long to get here. Seaside Aquatics is their US distributor. I'm gonna contact them and see whats up.

I just got reply from aquacave and they expect to get them within two weeks. I just ordered the medium size unit and can’t wait. I will be using the first chamber in my sump since it wont fit in sock chamber. Seems like a waste of sump space but it’s all I can do with the trigger sump.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got my medium bubble magus and trying to decide how to plumb it. I have bean animal drains so need two into the filter. Was just playing with some pvc I had laying around and not sure this would work but wanted opinions. I have a cor15 at about 60% on a 105g tank. The spa flex is main siphon and black is the other drain line.

Attachments

• AF287D93-2471-42E1-80BD-E88E25EFB2FD.jpeg
    AF287D93-2471-42E1-80BD-E88E25EFB2FD.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 189
  • AAFB988C-969D-455F-890A-3DBB294B693F.jpeg
    AAFB988C-969D-455F-890A-3DBB294B693F.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 239
  • F430DD64-193E-4074-8CA4-37852F3109DA.jpeg
    F430DD64-193E-4074-8CA4-37852F3109DA.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 208

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having doubts. Usually when you combine drains you upsize the piping.
The only real way is to try it.

Yeah I agree probably a long shot. I dont have a lot of flow and can turn pump down more but don’t think the full siphon will work when the open drain starts :-(.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem I see is I’m not sure you will be able to maintain a full siphon with one of the lines being a secondary flow which would let air into the drain. It would probably still work but you might get that slurping noise. I would just have your secondary drain go directly to the sump and open the full siphon so the water is just trickling in the secondary. Then 90% of the water will go through filter roller.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Problem I see is I’m not sure you will be able to maintain a full siphon with one of the lines being a secondary flow which would let air into the drain. It would probably still work but you might get that slurping noise. I would just have your secondary drain go directly to the sump and open the full siphon so the water is just trickling in the secondary. Then 90% of the water will go through filter roller.

I agree it may work but will be loud and that is not an option for me. Im going to have a bulkhead made to fit on other side of filter for the second drain.

Thanks so much for the reply's. This is the best forum/community I have ever been part of :)

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it may work but will be loud and that is not an option for me. Im going to have a bulkhead made to fit on other side of filter for the second drain.

Thanks so much for the reply's. This is the best forum/community I have ever been part of :)
I use a clear pvc section dumping into sump for my secondary drain. So I can see just how much water is going through that pipe. That way I can keep it under water and it doesn’t have the dripping noise.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a clear pvc section dumping into sump for my secondary drain. So I can see just how much water is going through that pipe. That way I can keep it under water and it doesn’t have the dripping noise.

So you only have the main siphon going into filter and secondary somewhere else in sump?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you only have the main siphon going into filter and secondary somewhere else in sump?
Yes. Secondary drops down right next to roller filter. There is very little water draining from that pipe.

F94733DC-4462-4FB7-B3F6-294C6F602012.jpeg

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, what I meant to say is that if you visit the Thingiverse page, there is an option to "Print Thing" and it will redirect you to a third party who will print if for you and mail it to you! Theres a few different options for having it printed. Have fun!
Ok.. I must be blind.. Where on earth is the option to have someone else print it?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the small version of this filter on my 40 breeder for a year now. Took a little bit of fiddling to get set properly into my sump, but nothing too difficult or involved. Just some thinking and planning on how to use one of these, (never used one before), and some minor adjustments in the sump in order to get best performance out of it.
I’m happy with it, it does what it’s supposed to. I’ve ordered filter roller media from Steve at https://preconfilter.com/
I sent him a sample/swath of the Bubble magus media and he found a similar replacement media at a much better price.
All in all, I like this thing and havent had any issues with it.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone still running the Bubble Magus? I want to get the large for my 140gallon.
I feel like their warranty is non-existent. Anyone have had any luck with them in terms of warranty?

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I was/am worried about the same thing. Im not sure if they support it anymore or not.

I can tell you that roller filters are the best and worth every penny. The bubble magus is less expensive than some of the others and comes fully assembled. I have the medium and it seems like good quality for being made in China. Only problem I had was finding filter roll replacements but they are back in stock everywhere. My first roller lasted several months. My sump is so much cleaner and best part no more cleaning socks or vacuuming sump.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone still running the Bubble Magus? I want to get the large for my 140gallon.
I feel like their warranty is non-existent. Anyone have had any luck with them in terms of warranty?
Oh also it only came with one bulkhead to drain into. The other side has removable cover for a second drain and I had someone 3d print one for me. Also they use metric I think so it’s just off and they give you hose to attach to 1” drain pvc. Not sure what the others do but minor inconvenience for the savings imo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back