Bubble Magus Filter Roll Review + Mod!

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Bubble Magus Filter Roll a few months back for about $200 from premium aquatics. It is a nice budget version of the filter roll. I love the concept and hate changing filter pads / socks. It comes fully assembled and is super easy to put together. However the standard connection is I believe metric PVC size so they include a flexible tube that can install over US PVC. I didn't like this a whole lot so I 3D printed a part for US connections. The performance has been great and it filters like a champ. Im running a Jebao DCT12000 up about 5 feet of head pressure running ~ 70% and this about the max flow rate for the filter roll. Its rated for 500 gph but I'm running more though it I believe.

I have a refugium in my sump and when some of the growth decays it pollutes the refigium so I installed a powerhead on a smart power bar to turn on every few hours to stir up detritus. While this was good to pump pods in the tank, I always had detritus flying around the display tank. So I plumbed the other side of the filter roll directly to the refugium output, so now the display tank and refugium both drain into the filter roll. Downside is no more pods, upside is clear tank water and better detritus removal. I have a full siphon drain and 2 emergency drains coming from refugium, if flow gets restricted, emergency drains will drip loudly into sump safely. Both drain inlets are 1" PVC

3D Model and Print is available from Thingiverse
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 8.34.57 AM.png
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I just picked up one of these from a tank buy out and was wondering how well it performed. Also, I noticed the flex tube and hate that, so much thanks for linking the design to get it to US plumbing. Now I have to get @dantimdad to print me one out lol.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I just picked up one of these from a tank buy out and was wondering how well it performed. Also, I noticed the flex tube and hate that, so much thanks for linking the design to get it to US plumbing. Now I have to get @dantimdad to print me one out lol.
You can print it from Thingiverse if you want, the link should be active by tonight, I just created the Thingiverse account and there is a 24 hour waiting period for link to become active.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can print it from Thingiverse if you want, the link should be active by tonight, I just created the Thingiverse account and there is a 24 hour waiting period for link to become active.
I dont have a printer, sadly lol. But I will for sure see if I can get one made. I plan to use the roller on my puffer tank, as all my other tanks are sockless. Those guys just mess the water way up lol, and I am tired of changing socks.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a printer, sadly lol. But I will for sure see if I can get one made. I plan to use the roller on my puffer tank, as all my other tanks are sockless. Those guys just mess the water way up lol, and I am tired of changing socks.
Oh no, what I meant to say is that if you visit the Thingiverse page, there is an option to "Print Thing" and it will redirect you to a third party who will print if for you and mail it to you! Theres a few different options for having it printed. Have fun!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, what I meant to say is that if you visit the Thingiverse page, there is an option to "Print Thing" and it will redirect you to a third party who will print if for you and mail it to you! Theres a few different options for having it printed. Have fun!
Did not know that lol. May have to look into that. Thanks for letting me know.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far does the unit sit in the water? I’m setting up a 75 gallon tank in my dining room and I’ll run a full siphon for noise issue. Is your filter roller spray bar under water? And does it make noise?

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust the unit up and down but I have mine so that the drain outlet / spray bar is under water and it’s a full siphon and therefore silent. The drain outlet is inside the chamber and the water level in the chamber is higher than the sump level because it has to be pushed through the filter material. So I believe no matter what height you set the filter roll the outlet will be submerged.

Last edited:

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I think I get it. Like you, I already purchaced the BM roller filter several months ago when there was a good sale knowing I had a build coming up. I have my 75 in my garage and will be setting up the plumbing for a dry run in the next week or so. I am hoping to use a 29 gal tank for my sump but that tank is quite tall. I have a 20 gal I can use also. I will not have a refugium. Just roller filter, skimmer and return. I would love to see a front view of your sump.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go. It’s a little hidden from my other equipment but hope it gives you idea.
E5418767-49E9-4DC7-B945-11FBD24CB168.jpeg
B77EA00B-84BC-4D77-B6C7-7355D2D06A76.jpeg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I can see how you did yours. Your motor is inside the sump (above the water obviously) I'm going to have to keep my motor above the sump rim do to the space restrictions. Thinking my first section will have to have a higher water level than rest of sump to maintain full siphon.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think your water level in the sump matters a whole lot, the drain outlet will always be submerged because it is located inside the filter chamber which maintains its own water level which will be higher water level than the sump itself.

AWIL57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do this as well for my dual drains. I tried to click on your link for thingiverse and it says nothing is there. Is there somewhere else to get the 3d print?

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the second side, you can use what already comes with the unit on the first side.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to do this as well for my dual drains. I tried to click on your link for thingiverse and it says nothing is there. Is there somewhere else to get the 3d print?

So call me stupid but trying to figure out how you use these with two drains ( bean animal ). Anyone have pics of two drains plumbed and how did you do it with this?

Also I have a trigger sump like this picture. The drains go into separate chamber and overflows into the sock chamber. Im guessing the roller matt will sit in sock chamber and the other will not be used? Haven’t checked dimensions but not sure it would fit in that sock chamber.

Attachments

• 95A42115-A326-41E4-BCC4-769CA4C9E485.jpeg
    95A42115-A326-41E4-BCC4-769CA4C9E485.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 190

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the two drains, the BM filter roller would need to be modified to accept two drains which requires drilling out the cover plate on the opposite side of the inlet to accept a bulkhead and elbow. This also requires re-routing at least one of the drains to the other side of the filter. Not as complicated as it sounds but not a basic install. You'll also need 8" from the side of the sump for the medium size unit to fit. Unless those are 7" socks, I don't think there would be enough room in your filter sock area anyway. Coral-vue makes a drop in filter roller but it gets pretty bad reviews.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back