I have a 1" main return, wondering how I would connect the two

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know what size pvc fits the large BM filter
I have a 1" main return, wondering how I would connect the two
I have two 1” drains and it fits the medium unit. The bulkhead they use is lightly off so they give you the black flexible tube to make the connection. I than had a bulkhead 3D printed for my second drain on other side of unit where the removable cover is located. They should have come standard with two imo. You will love them if you havent used before.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1” pvc pipe fits perfectly into the provided metric elbow fitting on the large. This is how I have my roller filters hooked up. Makes it very easy if you ever need to remove the drain or filter. Just slide it out. No clamps or glue needed.
FE4CA7FB-7628-46D2-98E9-7B86409E6675.jpeg

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1” pvc pipe fits perfectly into the provided metric elbow on the large. This is how I have my roller filters hooked up. Makes it very easy if you ever need to remove the drain or filter. Just slide it out. No clamps needed.
FE4CA7FB-7628-46D2-98E9-7B86409E6675.jpeg
OMG thank you, you just made my life very easy, just gotta cut the return to the appropriate height I guess and pop it in.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG thank you, you just made my life very easy, just gotta cut the return to the appropriate height I guess and pop it in.
Exactly. You'll have a couple inches of play as well which is perfect if you install a union on the drain above the roller filter. No glue either. Nice firm but not tight fit. A 3/4" pvc pipe fits in the medium unit the same way.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. You'll have a couple inches of play as well which is perfect if you install a union on the drain above the roller filter. No glue either. Nice firm but not tight fit. A 3/4" pvc pipe fits in the medium unit the same way.
thanks, good idea, like a slip-slip coupling instead of a union (as the union is much fatter/return line is quite close to the glass of the sump)

LongBeachReefer562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 1” drains and it fits the medium unit. The bulkhead they use is lightly off so they give you the black flexible tube to make the connection. I than had a bulkhead 3D printed for my second drain on other side of unit where the removable cover is located. They should have come standard with two imo. You will love them if you havent used before.
Another option is to take the flexible black tubing that’s supplied with the unit and take a blow drier (heat gun would be ideal) to one end and stretch it over your piece of 1”. Worked perfect for me.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another option is to take the flexible black tubing that’s supplied with the unit and take a blow drier (heat gun would be ideal) to one end and stretch it over your piece of 1”. Worked perfect for me.
I swear I have 1” drains and didnt need to do this to fit mine. dang got me thinking maybe mine arent 1” lol

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black tubing will fit over the pvc. It's a lot less work softening it up with a hair dryer or even just very hot tap water. If the filter doesn't line up with your drain piping then this is the way to go. If it's a new build or your able to line the drain up properly, then the 1" pvc slides perfectly right into the supplied 90 degree nipple fitting on the large and a 3/4" pvc into the medium.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question folks

I wanted to put the motor on the other side, however it rotates the wrong way, any idea as to how one would reverse the rotation?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's designed for the motor to work on either side. You have to start with a new roll when changing motor sides. It will just roll onto the collection tube the opposite way.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's designed for the motor to work on either side. You have to start with a new roll when changing motor sides. It will just roll onto the collection tube the opposite way.
Thanks
I think I’ll unroll the waste roll and re roll when I switch directions

Chris Nias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello... My tank have two 1" drain pipe with 12000 lph return pump. Can BM medium size handle the flow i use T adaptor to filter? Or do I need to mod the inlet in filter to a bigger one?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello... My tank have two 1" drain pipe with 12000 lph return pump. Can BM medium size handle the flow i use T adaptor to filter? Or do I need to mod the inlet in filter to a bigger one?
with the minimal price difference, why not go with the large? roll will last longer as well?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
folks who are using BM:
I see a lot leakage, ie if I feed flakes my sump has a tonne of them floating around... any idea if others are having a leak as well?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
folks who are using BM:
I see a lot leakage, ie if I feed flakes my sump has a tonne of them floating around... any idea if others are having a leak as well?
They work better with slow flow, imo.
Even with slow flow some fines get by in mine.
I will not go back to socks.
20210510_182840.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back