Bubble Magus Roller mat Issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Treefer32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2013
Messages
1,544
Reaction score
1,031
Location
Fargo, ND
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried contacting Seaside Aquatics on this. Their [email protected] support email address and their sales email address and have gotten no response on my 6 month old Filter Roller.

It's the Large Buggle Magus filter roller on my 340 gallon tank. The first 3 months it worked great. It would error out once or twice a month. Now, it's gotten to the point it errors out daily. The issue is that the paper gets bound up on the bottom rollers. If I yank a bunch of paper from the clean roll through the rollers then rewind it onto the clean roll, I dislodge the bottom rollers so it starts working for around 8-12 hours. Then, The motor turns and if the paper is bound up, the dirty roller pops off the motor connector and the motor turns without turning the paper. The paper takes some strength (more than the motor probably has) to free it from the bottom rollers.

I've got a lot of sponge and stuff growing on the filter roller where the water passes through the paper. I don't know if that's causing the rollers to gum up or if it's calcium. I've taken it a part once and it took me over 2 hours to put back together. I have no desire to take it all apart to clean it.

Anyone else have issues with the rollers and paper gumming up to the point the motor is unable to pull the paper through the rollers?

I'm almost to the point of going back to filter socks. This is crazy ridiculous for what we pay for this stuff and then have it be a manual filter roller... Manual in terms of I'm having to have the paper myself 3-4 times a day. . . Not the most ideal filtration method.
 
Do you the G1 or G2?
How do I tell? I purchased it 12/6/2021 from Aquacave.com.


The serial number starts with SSA ARF then a number.


This off the original invoice from aquacave:
Bubble Magus Filter Roll, LargeFT-BM-FRL$219.95
  • Ordered 1
  • Shipped 1
$219.95
 
Bump, any suggestions on how others have fixed this? Or how to get the attention of Seaside Aquatics? (I've emailed their support email address [email protected], their sales email address, and emailed them again this morning. I'm getting no responses.

I'll also send an email to Aquacave, where I purchased it, but, looking for help not vendor bashing!
 
Mine has also been binding up multiple times a day - and I’m finding it very hard to pull the paper through by hand as well. Tried cleaning and reassembling but still happening.
Any resolution on your end?

could this be related to a batch of bad filter paper? Seems unlikely since it appears to be mechanically bound.
 
Mine has also been binding up multiple times a day - and I’m finding it very hard to pull the paper through by hand as well. Tried cleaning and reassembling but still happening.
Any resolution on your end?

could this be related to a batch of bad filter paper? Seems unlikely since it appears to be mechanically bound.
After reaching out to Seaside Aquatics and Aquacave, I finally heard from the owner of Seaside aquatics. I paid fedex to send my entire unit back to them. $50. Even though they just said to send the motor and float roller that attaches to the motor back. After 2 weeks of testing, they said all that was wrong was the motor and the roller showed signs of wear and rounding out. I even left the dirty paper on and said you pull this through.. They said the paper had inflated to double or triple the size it should be. They sent me a brand new unit (was only 6 months old) and They claim to have sold mine to someone local in "perfectly working condition." Which makes no sense, if it was in perfect working condition why did they admit it showed signs of wear and there was something wrong with the paper... Kinda agreeing with you, wonder if it was a bad batch of paper? That's all I could think of.

I sold the unit to a fellow reefer with a smaller tank and splurged on the red sea 1200 for my tank. So far, that's working great, other than the paper being even more expensive. . :(
 
Thanks - mine is driv8ng me nuts, stalling every couple hours. I’m gonna change to the Reefmat 1200 as well but need to upgrade my sump to a 40 Breeder to fit that with my skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new