OP
OP
C

camsoft2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it need from a mature tank that my tank can't offer though, just want to know what I can do to aid its survival other than just watch it die. Also don't want to kill my entire tank if it dies.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet for that nem would be to take it back or have a friend with an established tank hold it until your is mature.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it need from a mature tank that my tank can't offer though, just want to know what I can do to aid its survival other than just watch it die. Also don't want to kill my entire tank if it dies.
Stability. A new tank goes through parameter swings because everything in your tank is trying to balance. Until that balance is achieved there will be instability. Biodiversity plays a huge role in stability. A new tank is just bare of biodiversity.

jas111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is important and it takes time to achieve. There isn’t a clear answer as to when that happens in a tank as everyone is different. You will know based on testing. Anemones are strange and like to do odd things. They key is to let them be. They don’t like be handled this much. They don’t like salinity swings and in my experience are a little more forgiving with nitrate swings. I also don’t feed my anemones some do I don’t. Key here is don’t handle as much and be patient. Anemone will move or look odd one day then great the next day.

OP
OP
C

camsoft2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m just worried as it not moving and just floating. Also some of its tentacles have fallen off and brown sludge. Just hope it’s messing with me.

jas111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t think this this guy will survive. My first attempt at keeping anemones didn’t go well either. Don’t get discouraged. Give your tank sometime. Just remember be patient that is the key to reefing.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemones act weird and close up sometimes but wont drop tentacles unless it is dying. You should give the anemone back or find a reefer to hold it for you for now just to give it a chance to live. This one might be too far gone though

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen worse come back in threads here. At least it still has some color. As everyone else has mentioned the best thing you can do is leave it alone completely and focus on keeping the rest of the tank stable long term.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve just moved it I think it was stuck in a hole. Stuck to a different part of the rock but is now hanging upside down.

This thing is stressing me out.

IMG_4174.jpeg
Did you pry the nem off the rock? It looks like its been injured.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me explain, new btas deflate and inflate foot to move around to find a spot.
20230323_175649.jpg
Left bta.Placed in tank, look at foot.
20230323_180857.jpg
Currently in rock.
20230325_083030.jpg

OP
OP
C

camsoft2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it was more than just deflated, it bleached and was upside down barely attaching. I didn’t pry its foot off no. This morning as advised I just left it on the sand didn’t want to touch it again, but it didn’t look good at all was brown and slimy assuming it’s lost it’s zooxanthellae. This afternoon when I got back it was gone and I can't see it anywhere. Only thing I saw was some white fleshy stuff on the sandbed. I'm assuming it's dead and my clean up crew did their job. I've looked hard for it and it's not anywhere I can see it. Lessons learnt, I'm sad the LFS didn't advise me better as they knew my tank was new and my excitement got the better of me. Sad for the poor little fella too. Will do my research next time instead of the temptation just to buy everything in the LFS. Thanks for the advise guys. Will get another when the time is right maybe in about 9-12 months.

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once ur able to keep more coral like LPS that will be the time for an anemone. don't give up give, another 6 month and you will be a great reefer.

OP
OP
C

camsoft2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once ur able to keep more coral like LPS that will be the time for an anemone. don't give up give, another 6 month and you will be a great reefer.

Thanks for the encouragement, I need to stay patient and go slow. Just desperate to fill this big empty space. I'll get there, I'll start to add corals over time probably start with some softies and then move on to LPS once things are a bit more stable.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t just mature your tank overnight. Nothing good happens overnight in this hobby. Stability, Biological, etc, everything plays a role

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back