Bubble tip anemone help.

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainbow bubble tip anemone or (RBTA) has it's tentacles nubs. I have read that this means it's starving but how? I feed it raw shrimp from the local store every Sunday, in fact I just fed it an hour ago. It has done this once before but I didn't pay any attention to it and it went back to normal. I would love some help with my RBTA because this is my first anemone and I've been a little lost.

More information:
  • Tank size 32 cube
  • Been running for 8 months
  • I have 2 clownfish which are hosted by the anemone
Water parameters:
  • Ammonia 0
  • Nitrite 0
  • Nitrate 5
  • High range ph 8.1
  • Carbonate hardness 16
  • Calcium 480
  • Phosphate 0

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean nubs? Can you post a picture?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@xxkenny90xx Sorry here it is. Any idea

16000360259554434375652540947113.jpg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What lighting are you using? Did it ever get damaged from a powerhead?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RBTA was fed close to or about the size of a penny sized shrimp that I cut off. If this helps any.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lightning I'm am currently using Radeon xr15 about 5in off the water. No never had power head damage.
Ok, I would just leave it alone for some time. If the mouth is still closed and the foot is attached, your anemone is doing fine. Hopefully, someone can chime in about the tentacles

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I would just leave it alone for some time. If the mouth is still closed and the foot is attached, your anemone is doing fine. Hopefully, someone can chime in about the tentacles

Alright. Ever since I got this fella I have had no idea on what to expect lol. Thanks @Gernader.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to youtube and put in "Bob Fenner anemone 2017" . About half way thru he talks about feeding(around 24 minute mark). I do what he says. So I'm feeding a new to me anemone right after putting it in my tank and every day for the first month. Then move to every other day(at least 4 feedings a week) for as long as I own it. A bleached anemone gets feed every day for months until it gets it "color" back.

I love how he says "fishes". I thought it was: look at that fish, look at those fish(not fishes).

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to youtube and put in "Bob Fenner anemone 2017" . About half way thru he talks about feeding(around 24 minute mark). I do what he says. So I'm feeding a new to me anemone right after putting it in my tank and every day for the first month. Then move to every other day(at least 4 feedings a week) for as long as I own it. A bleached anemone gets feed every day for months until it gets it "color" back.

I love how he says "fishes". I thought it was: look at that fish, look at those fish(not fishes).

So you think my RBTA is bleached? If so I'm a little worried as I stated this mess 9 months ago haven't lost a single fish, snail or coral. I really don't want to start now. I also checked out the video on feeding I'll take a more care than I have been when feeding thanks @tnw50cal

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think yours is bleached. I do think you should feed it more. I do the how long is the mouth thing. So if the mouth is a 1/4 inch long I feed it a 1/4 inch round piece of food(I feed LRS Reef Frenzy Nano) 4 times a week. Right now I'd be feeding yours everyday until it grew back to normal. Then move to 4 times a week. Right now your going to have to turn off the pumps and put the food right on the mouth and keep the pumps off until it swallows the food.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think yours is bleached. I do think you should feed it more. I do the how long is the mouth thing. So if the mouth is a 1/4 inch long I feed it a 1/4 inch round piece of food(I feed LRS Reef Frenzy Nano) 4 times a week. Right now I'd be feeding yours everyday until it grew back to normal. Then more to 4 times a week. But that's me.

Alright cool. I'll see what I can do on feeding more. Maybe every other day? Thanks again @tnw50cal

michael inocencio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my RBTA for 6 years and feed it Benepets and Fauna Marin Ultra LPS Grow Medium. It also seems to like Red Sea AB+. It's doing well and has split several times naturally.

For lighting I would not run at 100% but I've found the Nem will move if it doesn't like the the lighting or the flow.

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely check your lighting and flow. RBTAs are pretty good about moving and stretching to get more or less light and flow. It sounds like your parameters are pretty stable but i have noticed my rbta to be more sensitive to Alk swings. That you may not be aware of depending when and how often you are testing. Also the clowns can sometimes be a little annoying to the men’s when they are trying to feed or irritated. I had a BTA seem a little more unhappy like that before and I noticed the clowns being persistently annoying. I isolated the nem and within and week it was perking back up. good luck!

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it normal when you got it and now has the nubs?
I saw this happen in a tank when I had black sand that poisoned everything.
If you do a large water change does it get better?

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt use tentical extension as a sign of light usually the will raise there foot to the light if it needs more ive seen my nems tenticals go from bubbles to long and stringy to nubs as you showed. if its too much light it will move to a further away spot or a darker spot. if its foot is still stuck were its at and the mouth is closed just leave it be. Worse thing you can do is panic and start touching moving and adding things to the tank/nem. parameters look fine. hows the rest of the tank doing ? nems are weird.

also side note i wouldnt over feed it. nems naturally get there energy and food from the light source. Feeding a nem is benificial if you want it to grow faster, split, just to watch it eat or just want a happy nem. but over feeding is a no no. when a nem eats its takes alot for the nems energy to do that if its a big piece. feeding it once week or every other day smaller pieces of food should be fine and will help it heal if its hurt. just dont over feed big pieces only give it foods smaller then its mouth.

Last edited:
Back