Bubble tip Anemone problems

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i have no idea what my anemone is doing it has hid in side of the rock only coming out occasional when it did extend itself it looked happy all enfalted and stuff.

but now it has moved all around my tank and then back into the cave!!!

but now when it is enfalted its all stringy not like bubbled up on the tips just weird. Color is still there and there is no reason or sign its dieing other then its expanding and retracting alot and its not as bubbled up as i think it should be ?

ill post picture when i get home!

5month old tank

parameter for water are below

ammonia = 0ppm
nitrate = 5ppm
phosphate = .25
calcium = 500 ppm
alk = 13.1dkh

magnesium = 1500ppm
salinity = 1.026
ph = 8.15

Last edited:

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1...Age of tank?
2...Is your lights strong enough?
3...Flow...do you have heavy and low flow areas in the tank. where it can find a happy place? I turn my flow off/on every 4 hours. BTA's are the weeds in my tank.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2002.jpg

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1...Age of tank?
2...Is your lights strong enough?
3...Flow...do you have heavy and low flow areas in the tank. where it can find a happy place? I turn my flow off/on every 4 hours. BTA's are the weeds in my tank.

1.. 5 month
2.. i have a kessil 360 in a cube thats 21" deep should be plenty its currenlty at 60% intensity
3... yes flow is on and off every 30 minutes.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A moving anemone is an unhappy one. You can run carbon for a couple day's in case there is a contaminate in your water. Hopefully he makes it.

OnyxPerc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People recommend to wait a year because anemones need stability, that does not mean you can not successfully keep a BTA in a tank less than a year old or 6 months old. I keep 2 rainbow BTAs in a now 6 month old tank, but I've had them for 4 months and they are happy as can be.

Your Alk seems a bit high - I would aim for 9-10. Try to lower it slowly over the course of a week or so.

Also what test kits are you using?

have you tried feeding the anemone?

Is it sticky to the touch?

Can you see the mouth? Is it tightly closed, gaping open, etc?

Have you seen it expel any mucus/slime?

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People recommend to wait a year because anemones need stability, that does not mean you can not successfully keep a BTA in a tank less than a year old or 6 months old. I keep 2 rainbow BTAs in a now 6 month old tank, but I've had them for 4 months and they are happy as can be.

Your Alk seems a bit high - I would aim for 9-10. Try to lower it slowly over the course of a week or so.

Also what test kits are you using?

have you tried feeding the anemone?

Is it sticky to the touch?

Can you see the mouth? Is it tightly closed, gaping open, etc?

Have you seen it expel any mucus/slime?

it is not sticky to touch.

test kit is salfriet

ive tried feeding it doesnt seem to want to take anything not like before.

see above photo the mouth is open and i can see white lines?

no mucus

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onyxperc is right, stability depends on a lot of factors but generally you may think your tank is stable but it is going through major changes till about a year. Depends on how much live rock you have. Do 5% water changes every week and run carbon for a few days. Has it lost all it's color? It's mouth appears open which isn't a good sign. I would not feed a unhappy BTA unless I didn't have good lighting. Leaving it alone is your best option. The Alk isn't high enough to be causing the issue but I would lower it a bit.

Onyxperc - lets see a pic.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAVEAT -- my feedback based on my own experience with my own anemones over a few years:

I'd second pulling your alk back over time and picking a number between 7.5 - 10.5 and target it. I'd also try and feed the anemone a little bit of reef roids once or twice a week and see how it responds. The reef roids will allow it to pull in some nutrients until it rebuilds the zooxanthellae. Also, lower your light intensity for a couple weeks, slowly ramping up to your normal intensity and allow it to adapt. It will move to find a comfortable section. Also, you could probably try to slowly work on the phosphates.

Another thing I do with anemones is acclimate over a 2-3 hour period to my chemistry when I get a new one. Ph can be a shocker if your alk is so high.

Also, I dose aminos to my main display that does seem to help my corals come back from any issues.... may help with your anemone to have energy to recover from any shock or internal imbalance. Just be sure to be diligent about checking your nutrient levels.

U

User1

View Badges
You said flow is on 30 minutes then off? Are you correct by saying minutes vs. seconds?

Are you alternating left right pump a, b? Or do you actually have flow reduced in the tank with power heads off for 30 minutes and only running return for circulation? As already noted a moving BTA is not happy and it is trying to find a home. Could be due to light, could be due to no flow, too much flow (direct), etc. You can't force it but you can direct flow to sort of coach it. In the end it will find a spot and be happy if tank is properly controlled.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my clowns love the frogspawn and not the BTA's!!

IMG_2003.jpg
Try playing a you tube video of your type of clowns hosting a bta.

Stability is extremely important. How did it look at the lfs? Was it attached to a rock? How did they remove the bta? Did you inspect it after they removed it from the holding tank?

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stability is extremely important. How did it look at the lfs? Was it attached to a rock? How did they remove the bta? Did you inspect it after they removed it from the holding tank?

yes the slide it off of the glass it was stuck there pretty good

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isaacalves the BTA hasn't lost any color is just a white out picture. I would never worry about ramping lights with BTA's as they will move to their happy spot. Place a new BTA in the bottom of the tank is all that's needed.

Rapid. BTA are weird. mine will bubble up into a tight balls and sometimes they will be long and thin and get huge basking in the sun. I have over 10 BTA's in the tank which all came from 1. There are bubbled ones, half bubbled and long ones. and tomorrow they will all be in different stages. Nobody really knows why.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HaHa..they've been hosted by the frogspawn for 6 years. but i just might try!

OnyxPerc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onyxperc is right, stability depends on a lot of factors but generally you may think your tank is stable but it is going through major changes till about a year. Depends on how much live rock you have. Do 5% water changes every week and run carbon for a few days. Has it lost all it's color? It's mouth appears open which isn't a good sign. I would not feed a unhappy BTA unless I didn't have good lighting. Leaving it alone is your best option. The Alk isn't high enough to be causing the issue but I would lower it a bit.

Onyxperc - lets see a pic.

Here ya go.

Dont mind the algae I was on vacation lol

20190828_130926.jpg 20190801_220715.jpg 20190723_190250.jpg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.7%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back