Bubble Tip Anemone splitting now this happened

chocomallows007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 1 and half years old. Params are all good. Bought this thing from LFS while it’s splitting and I got it for a price of one. However, in my main tank it won’t stick to any rock, so I put it in a basket and then through the holes it started to come through and sliced some of its parts. Now, it’s in a 1 gallon qt with low flow. I used the sand, rocks, and water from my main tank. Idk if it’s going to recover or what can I do to make it recover?

C63BF79E-596D-4D9D-A61B-291877A140A0.jpeg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a weird move imo on the lfs part; shoulda just let it do it's thing (not for sale). It can take weeks to recover but requires a stable environment and established home to have a high success rate. Idk what you should do specifically but I'll watch the thread to hear ideas. Good luck

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing that could have been done (outside of not pursuing it during a split( would have been to let it be. Most beta can slide through the small holes in a basket just fine.

But, being as you have it in a tank with established media, all you can do is ride it out and make sure there are no nutrient spikes from moving the media.

You tank is really no different than a hospital tank at this point, but you need to be sure that parameters are stable, no ammonia builds up if it does lose a few tents and they rot, and make sure that NO3 and PO4 are not too high. Stability is key and making sure ammonia doesn't build up for whatever reason is a good thing. Outside of that, it is just a wait and see thing at this point.

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing that could have been done (outside of not pursuing it during a split( would have been to let it be. Most beta can slide through the small holes in a basket just fine.

But, being as you have it in a tank with established media, all you can do is ride it out and make sure there are no nutrient spikes from moving the media.

You tank is really no different than a hospital tank at this point, but you need to be sure that parameters are stable, no ammonia builds up if it does lose a few tents and they rot, and make sure that NO3 and PO4 are not too high. Stability is key and making sure ammonia doesn't build up for whatever reason is a good thing. Outside of that, it is just a wait and see thing at this point.
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it! I'm sorry, what happens if it does lose a few tents?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it! I'm sorry, what happens if it does lose a few tents?
They can heal from that with stability. In a small tank, just be sure to remove them. So t want them to rot and cause an ammonia spike.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning, it looks like this and it stinks..
B91917F4-3D31-416F-8EA6-EE3C7FA31B72.jpeg
That one is done for. hate to say that, but it is now much and needs to be removed.

For the rocks and sand, you can reuse, but would be good to give the rock a good swish in some old tank water (from your actual DT) and then just rinse the sand in some tap and place back. That little sand and rinsing in tap will not be an issue. Just want ensure no pieces parts from the nem make it to your DT.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the old man :) . That one is way done for. Already decaying. This nem was probably splitting in survival mode to begin with when you purchased it. Even if it successfully split at the LFS one of the splits was doomed is my guess. Ive seen it happen several times. Get that thing out of the water.

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve I have an update. So I got a new BTA and this one looks really healthy. Last night after acclimating, he was sticking on the rock for the first hour. This morning he was not sticking to anything

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve I have an update. So I got a new BTA and this one looks really healthy. Last night after acclimating, he was sticking on the rock for the first hour. This morning he was not sticking to anything
That sound normal. Most new nems will move around for a while to find a place where they like light and flow. Just be sure to watch it to make sure that is not gaping at the mouth and that it stays clear of powerheads.

Best thing to do, is to leave them alone and let them find their own spot.

OP
OP
chocomallows007

chocomallows007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sound normal. Most new nems will move around for a while to find a place where they like light and flow. Just be sure to watch it to make sure that is not gaping at the mouth and that it stays clear of powerheads.

Best thing to do, is to leave them alone and let them find their own spot.
I mean he’s not on any rockwork and he shrunk. He’s on the sand. When I turn off powerhead, he won’t try to stick on the rock

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean he’s not on any rockwork and he shrunk. He’s on the sand. When I turn off powerhead, he won’t try to stick on the rock
Pic?

Also, list out tank age, parameters and what you are using for lighting (type and settings). It could be something off with chemistry. Plus a full tank shot will help.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have pic? After acclimation , turn off all the pumps and put her somewhere in a crevice and give it an hour before u turn flow back on, let’s them settle into their crack . What lights r u running

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back