Bubble tip anemone

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently cycling a 69 gallon tank. This is my first tank. I know it will be a while before I can get corals and stuff, but I have always wanted clowns and an anemone. I know that the clowns may not take to it but I still want to try! I was just wondering when is the best time to get a bubble tip in the tank? I for sure want one but not at the cost of it dying and my tank not being ready for one!! Ive researched basic care and I am sure I would be able to take care of it when the time was right but I cant find an answer on when is best to introduce them? Anyone have any advice?

Also it is fine if it is a good length of time before I can get one, I for sure want to do it right and I know this hobby takes patience to be successful in, and Im very committed to making this first tank successful!

I have a hold on a bonded pair of clowns that I believe may be frostbite clowns. Ive attached a picture of them for reference, I was wondering if there was a chance they would move to the bubble tip eventually as it seems like the bubble tip may not host all clowns? Also if anyone can confirm what kind of clowns they are that would be awesome!

9AF9F716-C74C-4FFC-AB41-35A6EC557916.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of occelaris clowns (same species as your frostbites) are happily living in a bta. Generally you will want to wait about 6 months for a nem - they need the tank to be stable.
Good starter corals are leathers, zoas, gsp, and Xenia.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are fine without an anemone first. For an anemone to succeed you need a mature reef average from 9 months to over a year. When coralline algae really grows fast is typically the earliest I would start even better to wait a couple more months.

mmboyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m relatively new to the hobby too but from what i’ve heard 6 months to a year for anemone but i’ve had zoanthids in a 1 month old tank and they’ve been doing fine. but definitely wait for the anemone

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a BTA after about 6 months and while I lost a handful of LPS in that same time because I was using a test kit for phosphates that didn’t register anything below .25 I had no clue that they were around .1 (not good for corals), but the BTA survived. It took over a year before the maroon clown pair I have moved into the garden of BTAs I now have.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert, but here’s my 2 cents.

With my first tank, I waited until I saw growth in corals ( zoas, leather) before adding BTA. Since then I’ve moved, changed, and broken my tanks 3 times. Each time I transferred the anemone to the new tank with new water and sand on day one without fails. So I think anemone just need biodiversified/matured rocks to anchor to and the correct lighting (intensity and spectrums), which requires experience on the reefer’s part. Once you acquire those factors, they’re pretty hard to kill.

In term of anemone hosting, my clarkii pairs dived right into BTA the first 5sec I added the anemone. However, the mocha storm pairs I have right now couldn’t care less. They rather sleep right next to the powerhead for the last 12+ months. I think it’s because they’re cross-bred in a lab and don’t know what anemone is.

Good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back